Parts reconnaissance is NEEDED!!! HELP PLEASE!

Although, with what 5Twins said, I might actually damage the starter gear by doing that.
Don't think that's really what 5Twins meant. It's not damage to the starter gear... more like shedding metal as a normal wear and tear process.Happens to all starter ring gears that use a bendix type engagement system. I know I'm not shy about using the starter.
As far as flushing the engine.......as was previously pointed out..... just use a low cost motor oil. Get it nice and hot, drain it immediately while all the particles are still suspended.... refill it and put a few hundred miles on it. Drain it and check the filters again.

Get your float needle and seat from Yamaha, they're the best and not outrageously priced .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=0c2514270f638cfd80aa2c78e639f3d5a7971cda

As mentioned, no need to replace the original float bowl gaskets unless they are bad, broken or torn. In my opinion, you can't do any better than those originals. I still have them in my '78 carbs and they work fine. Your leak is because the fuel level is getting too high in the carb, not because of the gasket. It would probably even leak with a new gasket under this circumstance. The proper fuel level setting puts it below the gasket so it's not constantly soaking into and through it.

The fuel level being too high is related to the float or the float needle and seat assembly. Either your float has gone bad (sprung a leak), it's set wrong, or the float needle and seat assembly has dirt in it (won't close and/or seal) or is bad. Instead of spending money on gaskets you probably don't need, you would be better off putting it towards an external float level checking tool like this one. You will use it many times in the years to come .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Float-Level-Tool-Yamaha-XS400-XS500-XS650-XS750-XS1100-XZ550-77-83/273099883552?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

JFdrj8x.jpg
I wanna pick one up. Do you know if it fits a 76 carb?

Ordered some parts! Too excited to finally get to work on this thing for real. Got a seat and needle valve assy. ( one set for each carb to promote equal fuel function) Along with new filters all around (mainly as back ups to make changes faster and easier)

ordered a clutch cable (went with partzilla because I wanted as close to stock as possible.)

Also got an external float height tool (thanks a ton to Mr. 5Twins)

I also bought new main jets (122.5) they were the stock size for BS38's so I went with my gut just to see how they run the bike.

Let's see how this goes. I was a bit impulsive because I realized that If I kept digging deeper into the forum I'd become overstimulated by varying opinions from dozens of enthusiasts. I figured I'd try and see what happens... That's the joy of learning. Even if I make a $35 mistake. I'll make it work one way or the other! Here's to hoping..

Back