PCV?

Viper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I did a lot of work on the bike in the late winter, early spring.

I added Mike's Air Pod filters, and i'm pleased with them.

I also purchased the pcv breather pod filters, and the diameter of the tube is too small for the hose, so i've been running it without a filter (I know I know... stupid).

But what i noticed last year, and never investigated, is if i hit the bike hard on a country road, i'd end up with oil from an unknown source on the side (shocks? rear brake?) of my right shoe.

I've concluded that the oil is coming from the pcv breather tubes. How does the mikes solution with the pcv valve work? Is it good? does anyone have any pictures? Are there any other solutions? Would just putting a filter on solve oil from coming out?

Thanks.

Hi Viper, welcome to the site!

Fistly, there is no PCV on an XS. There is simply a breather, some models had 1 & others had 2 hoses coming from the head, connecting to the air box.

Of course as soon as you get rid of the airbox, it becomes an issue. Some have run the hose down the left side so it dangles over the chain & becomes a bit of an auto lube!

Others will run the hoses to a catch can, race bike style.

Others fit mini filters on the end of the hose.

Or you can run the vacuum check valves from Mikes, or anywhere else. These are designed to keep the crankcase under negative pressure, & has been known to stop some minor oil leaks. I don't know that just the check valves would eliminate the mess though, that system alone is still meant to go back to the air box!

:cheers:

I have had virtually none come out of the breather on my XS, but my previous bike did the opposite. A lot of the time extra oil in the engine will come out through the breather, how much oil is coming out exactly? (or that you know of)

Had pod filters on mine since I bought it over 2 years ago. The breather hose just runs down the frame to fresh air, no catch can or mini filters. Never seen any oil coming out of it tho :shrug:

the air boxes were gone when i got mine. i have about a 3in. hose top of the carbs. before i rebuildt the motor had oil blowing out of one side. i have seen few things guys done to ther breather hose like running it to the exhausts to a check valve. the 78 has a good style crankcase breather box just take it apart and clean it i dont see a need for a filter on it.i seen one with a block off plate on breather spot and had drilled a hole a mounted one of those small ones like at mikes xs

Back