Perhaps I was mistaken

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've always claimed that swapping an XS650's stock air filters for good pods (OK, Unipods, the rest, not so much) made no difference to how well the bike ran.
Back in the spring of 2015 my XS650 reawakening involved a complete carb cleaning and putting the stock airboxes back on was such a hassle that I gave up and robbed two Unipods off my dormant XS11 instead.
Well, it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference so that's what I posted.
Just last week I decided to resurrect my XS11 rig which meant robbing the two Unipods back off my XS650.
Which in turn led to reinstalling the XS650's carefully saved stock airboxes.
Took me all effin' afternoon to get those recalcitrant bastards back on but I finally got her done.
Fired the bike up after the stock airboxes were installed and it started easier, idled nicer and seems to run better all round.

The most experience that I have had with CV carbs has been on Hondas. These Hondas do not like to run with pods, but, the Honda CV carbs have been very forgiving as to whatever exhaust is used.

Scott

The thing with standard airboxes is there's a good supply of "dead air" for the carbs to draw on. When you switch to pods you have to re jet to compensate for mix of fuel to air. I like pods cause they look sharp but the bike was designed the way it was for a reason, right?

The thing with standard airboxes is there's a good supply of "dead air" for the carbs to draw on. When you switch to pods you have to re jet to compensate for mix of fuel to air. I like pods cause they look sharp but the bike was designed the way it was for a reason, right?

Hi Boots,
you are right, I didn't change jets when I switched although of course I should have.
And I dunno about pods looking sharp,
you can't hardly see them on an XS650 unless you also ditch the side covers.
And "designed the way it was for a reason" ? Yeah, right.
It's been said:- "I don't want it by Leonardo Da Vinci, I want it by Wednesday!"
I made a living by designing stuff and when I look at certain aspects of the XS650's design
I shakes my head, I really do.

I totally agree Fred ! I some times wonder how those Fellers figured out ( or didn't figure out and just did it anyway ) things like hiding the idle-air screw or plastic swing arm bushings .... or something simple like adjusting the valve lash....SHOULD be.... but isn't....
you'ed think they would have learned over time that some things shouldn't be done but there is Never any sign of remorse for their screw-ups ! ....and they keep repeating the same screw-ups over and over ! plastic parts do not belong in a vehicle, on it perhaps, but not IN IT !!!!!!!
but I guess if they were perfect we'ed have to find something else to complain about ! HAHAHHAH!
Bob........

I don't really have that much trouble with the the stock ariboxes and that is almost exclusively what I run mostly with UNI foam replacing the stock mouse hair on the stock filter frames. I have gotten the drill down and seldom take more than 15 minutes to install the boxes complete. I do keep meaning to buy some 5mm body screws for the two bolts that come down at the rear of the gas tank into the filter housing on the BS34 bikes. The pointed thread would help align the 3 pieces. Silglyde is your friend and all bolts in loose, before any are tightened. leave the rear bolts for last it lets you pull the one installed filter out a bit making it easier to get the cross tube into both housings. You want filter fun? Try the the V4 Hondas or the three 2 barrel KZ1300's

Hay Gary !!!
man don't talk about Honda's... their the only manufacturer I know of that recommended the Removal of the engine from the frame just to adjust the valve tapits !!!!!! ..... that was a first and so far, not to be repeated goofup ! how did that get buy the quality assurance people ???
I mean geez guys even a blind man could see removal of the engine for a tune up is a bit extreme ! but they did it for a 350cc model !
..... at least I read about it LOL........
i thought getting the carb boots on the Honda 4's were a act more of prayer and self sacrifice than luck !but if you were really tricky and sneaky you could do it ! ...... ( and had a old screw driver you bent into a 90Deg. pick sort'a tool......)
I have 2 of those tools by the way.... strange how they migrate into the high use area of the tool box uh !? !!!!
.... nuthin' like them for getting water hoses back on after radiator removal from a car uh ! LOL !
oh well progress isn't made by sitting on our laurels ! we must press on ...don't ya know ! HAHAHAHAHHA
Bob............

YUP! I just bought a VT500FT (that I quickly resold to a buddy, whew) and had to make a tool like that to get the intakes, the PO left half done, back on the carbs. LOL .
I take heavy galvanized fence wire, pound a flat "paddle" on the end, file smooth, bend the 90 then bend the stem as needed to get back into the nooks and crannies to help guide the boots on.
DSCN7332.JPG
20170516_190718.jpg

Something could be said about at least the older Harley Sportsters. Two big Philips screws and the air filter is off, spark plugs so easy to change you could do it while coasting down a short hill in neutral and a transmission you can remove without pulling engine or splitting case. Oh and a belt drive final that you can replace the belt on sitting on the side of the road even with a sidecar in the way!

Back