- have a look here

- i like it and have had problems neither with the ones ive done for myself nor for mates-if your original alternator has sucked a kumara i would definitely suggest looking into it...as youre in the states you might like to think about a mrriggs adaptor-

100B-6.jpg

- and 3 phase stator @ 103 x 42 x 20mm eg VFR500, banshee rotor and combi rec/reg

- have a look here

- i like it and have had problems neither with the ones ive done for myself nor for mates-if your original alternator has sucked a kumara i would definitely suggest looking into it...as youre in the states you might like to think about a mrriggs adaptor-

100B-6.jpg

- and 3 phase stator @ 103 x 42 x 20mm eg VFR500, banshee rotor and combi rec/reg

:agree: This is the plate I use for my perm mag and I run batteryless.

I'm thinking I would still like to have a battery so I can use my headlight when my bikes not running, etc..
Do you have any real benefits from doing either?

Chef, you can do the conversion for a stronger spark and stronger lights... Benefits? Yeah. One less thing I have on my bike. I'm not going to run a "oil tank" or battery box on my hardtail. It's just going to be open space under there.

There are 2 reasons to run the PM as I see it. You want to run a batteryless set up or your alternator is pooping out and you feel like you need an alternative.

Or because you're worried about someday having a drained battery and not being able to get your damn bike started because of it, even when kicking it!

My fear precisely, travis!

I think i'll keep an eye on ebay for good deals on the parts that i need for the conversion and then do over next winter...

Okay Sweet!
I am really serious about doing it, but I have a fair amount of work to do still before I get her back and running for the spring so I think I'll put the alternator on hold for a few months.
Do you think the VFR500 Stator and the Banshee flywheel are good choices for the parts?

I bought the Riggs plate myself, bolted on a Kawasaki ZX6-E Stator, a Honda Magna Reg/Rec and I already had an RZ350 flywheel....sitting in my tool box for yyyyeeears. (If anyone needs a transmission and clutch assembly let me know, RZ stuff).....

I like the Riggs plate for its ease of installation. I haven't flashed up the engine yet.. its waiting for its crankshaft to come back from the machine shop. Will keep ya posted when its up and running.

Firstly, Welcome Highspeed. Like you, I used Riggs plate. For 2 reasons. Ease.. And I felt bad b/c I asked him 309080980708340834 questions about doing the perm mag swap. Oh yeah Cheftay. The reason I chose the vf500 parts was that Riggs had already done the swap with them and confirmed that they worked. One word for anyone that is going to do this. It'd be easiest if you choose a reg/rect that matches your stator b/c then they just plug into each other.

Back