I have a '75 and an '81 Xs that I want to convert to Hugh's PMAs, Pamco ignitions, and NO batteries. I'm looking for some options with capacitors, since I've heard of headlight dimming issues with the Sparx-types. Is bigger better? Will one of the "big-twin" capacitors have enough capacitance to prevent dimming?

The capacitor has nothing to do with the lights. Its function is simply to maintain current flow for the nano-second when the stator output goes to zero as the magnet passes between windings (i.e. when the phases shift from positive polarity to negative and vice-versa).

P.S. you can put this together yourself cheaper using OEM parts (other than the capacitor and the stator bracket).

yeah i dont want to add to a possible piss fest but hugh gives props to mr. riggs every chance he gets, and mr riggs gives props to aussies. their both fairly modest when this comes up n. putting the whole NEW components shebang together may be a first, and of course its a good idea and its going to get copied. is this new guy a member here?

but again things are going to get copied. im sure the first battery company was pissed when the second came out. you know what i mean....

:bike:

SPARX sold "new components" PMA systms before the new kids on the block. bottom line here is that this is soooooo in the public domain that there is NO OWNERSHIP of the concepts.

Hi I am interested in the PMA system, Just wondering what else I would need to buy.
I have stock points ignition system and stock condensers and coils. Sorry if it is a silly question but I am completely new to bike building. I bought the bike without and alternator or rotor so I am wondering if its easy just to buy them or go the PMA. I happy to upgrade what I need too.
Thanks heaps for your help.

The PMA kit is difenetly the way to go for you unless you were able to all the stock parts for next to nothing. The HHB kit is about $300 but it is bullet proof and great customer service if you need it.

aussiejohno: The PMA kit comes complete. There is no need to replace anything else. If everything is still in god working order leave it alone. The kit replaces the stock voltage regulator, voltage rectifier, and stator (aka: generator) The kit installs easily with minimal tools and mechanical knowledge. Besides they send a clear install information sheet to assist. Follow the directions and you can't go wrong.
Here is his web site: http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-install-your-hughs-handbuilt-pma.html
I suggest to put blue lock-tite on any screws installed. It will help secure them from backing out and will be easily removed if any engine work needed pops up.

Remember what I said earlier about if it still works leave it alone? Well, I would however suggest on updating your ignition. Changing out the points and condenser for a electronic kit. MikesXS have a bundle consisting of the PMA and electronic ignition. It may be a bit costly but worth every penny. Check out other informational sites like; http://www.xs650chopper.com/

Good Luck

For anyone wanting to just get a PMA and electronic ignition on an XS with standard 360 degree crank, I would recommend "Powerdynamo" PMA with integrated CDI ignition.

This system can be run with or without battery, as the ignition is powered directly from its own coil on the stator plate, like on a MX bike, chain saw, etc.

This means that the centrifugal advance system can be removed, together with the points assembly, and there will be no wire running to an electronic unit mounted where the points are located. This again means that slimmer camshaft caps can be used, these are offered by Mule, Heiden, and possibly Hoos Racing.

A buddy of mine has a "Powerdynamo" PMA/ CDI on his -73 RD350, it has worked great for at least 3 years now. CDI gives a fatter spark than any battery powered ignition, and his RD starts really easy now.

Another buddy mounted a "Powerdynamo" PMA/CDI on his 1977 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada (350cc 72 degree pushrod V-twin) last winter. I just chatted with him on FB, and he is most satisfied with it. Easy starting, good voltage (bright lights). He is so happy with it that he is thinking about getting one for a Kawasaki KH 100 he has (Late 70-s 2 stroke single).
And I forgot to mention that I have purchased a "Powerdynamo" CDI/ PMA for one of my aircooled RD350s, and I also have a PMA ready for my XS, in combination with an Ignitech programmable digital ignition. (Powerdynamo do not make a system for rephased XS engines, that is why I want to use Ignitech with 2 pickups, triggered by the "lump" on the Powerdynamo PMA rotor.

And, no, I am not connected to Powerdynamo, Ignitech or Heiden in any way, except being a customer.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever done the conversion to a permanent magnet alternator? I've heard of people using the alternator off of an RD350.

I know there is a good write up here http://www.xs650.org.au/Alternators.htm but has anyone here done this?

Hi Travis me and my mate have fitted the Hughes PMA,s and find them absolutely great, we travel big long miles here in OZ and require fool proof engines, we have also fitted Boyer Brandsden Ignitions everything is just great with our lovable old XS650,s

Hi,fitted a permanent magnet alternator system.the only thing is i can only get 10volts at tickover. so switching the lights on just kills the motor.just rev it a little and you get 13-14 volts,and the lights work fine.is this a regulator fault,can any one help.

Maybe, I might check all the grounds and connections just to be sure they are all right.
Leo

Hello To anyone read this,

I recently bought a A PMS kit from Mike's XS for my bone stock 1978 SX650 because I'm very sure the old original charging system just isn't up to the task anymore. My kit didn't come with any instruction but I was able to look around and with the right puller, change out the old stator and flywheel. However now I'm at the wiring portion and I'm starting to get confused. I want to convert the regulator to a solid state system which came with he kit however I'm not sure what I need to keep, what can go and how it all plugs in. I removed the old stator from the 6 pin connector with the singular yellow wire. I know the thee yellow wires go into the SSM to be rectified from A/C to DC and I know come out the red wire to battery and the green wire is battery ground however I'm not sure how to tie that in to my existing stock harness.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I recommend you keep the stock stator and rotor (its not a flywheel). They are high quality Japanese parts. You are installing low quality Chinese parts. When the PMA (not PMS) fails, not far in the future, you will want to re-install the stock stator and rotor.

Hello To anyone read this,

I recently bought a A PMS kit from Mike's XS for my bone stock 1978 SX650 because I'm very sure the old original charging system just isn't up to the task anymore. My kit didn't come with any instruction but I was able to look around and with the right puller, change out the old stator and flywheel. However now I'm at the wiring portion and I'm starting to get confused. I want to convert the regulator to a solid state system which came with he kit however I'm not sure what I need to keep, what can go and how it all plugs in. I removed the old stator from the 6 pin connector with the singular yellow wire. I know the thee yellow wires go into the SSM to be rectified from A/C to DC and I know come out the red wire to battery and the green wire is battery ground however I'm not sure how to tie that in to my existing stock harness.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Update, I did figure it all out in the end. System works great but now i'm having a clutch issue. More fun.

Back