Permanent Volt Meter

Yup I think I got the link from you ages ago ! I put it in my bookmarks ! LOL !!!!!
Humm, I figured I'ed cut the window out ! might be able to remove the paint on it if it's a painted oval too.....
thanks 5T ....
Bob.............

Thanks for the conversation. I went with the VDO from Amazon. Hopefully this one will stand up. I love the mounting, Downeaster. I will work something up like that, but I will also take RG's advice and find some kind of rubber to assist with the vibrations. And for the skeptics, I do run a volt check for battery and charge before I ride off, I just want to have a little assurance as a tool along and I hate pulling out that cheap assed HF volt meter to test while revving.
Peace all and again, thanks for this forum.
Rob

vm2.jpg

MM, my bad it's a VDO not a S-W.

I just got one of those VDO meters as well and it looks like a nice piece of hardware.

DOWNEASTER - what di the front of the instrument cluster look like (i.e. what did you do to cover the innards of the meter and the connections at the bottom of it?

Pete

That's the one I have in my dash. It works OK so far. My buddy is going to try one in his Special dash. The only possible problem may be the oval window obscuring part of the meter numbers.

Just a heads up for anyone trying to make one of the mini voltmeters work in a special pilot box...

The voltmeter fits perfectly, however, the lense is too thick to view the readout. The special dash actually has what appears to be a double lense (approx. 5/16"+ thick).

In order to make the voltmeter work in this location, I carefully cut out a rectangular hole with a demel (with many different shaped bits). If you are tackling this, go slow with the dremel. It is very easy to remove too much material.

Black silicone was used seal up / hold the unit in place.
IMG_0128.JPG

It's not quite a clean as the standard dash install, but it should function well.

Want a laugh ? I was going to do that but decided I wanted all the lights there, so I opted to shoe goo it to the handle bar...
and rub the wires into the headlight bucket....which i did... I used a trouble light to find a keyed hot wire and wired it up...
however I discovered just the other day that when my blinkers blink so does the little volt meter !!!!!!!!!! LOL
OH WELL so much for quick and dirty install eh ?
.....Bob..........

Heads up.....when mounting those digital volt meters be sure to put some power to them first so that you can determine right side up from upside down. It would be awful to do all of that work and have it upside down. No, I did not mount mine upside down. I didn't wire it to my blinker either.

Scott

Last edited:
Heads up.....when mounting those digital volt meters be sure to put some power to them first so that you can determine right side up from upside down. It would be awful to do all of that work and have it upside down. No, I did not mount mine upside down. I didn't wire it to my blinker either.

Scott

Haha, yes I double and triple checked that the unit was installed right side up.

Back