Pet Peeves - Motorcycle, equipment and tool related

thuban

Horse Scratcher
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so you need some "Pookie". You go out to get that once used tube of sealant and this is what you find!

cap crack.jpg

You know it's going to have a solid plug in the end because you can crank it down or the cap will crack. But it cracked anyway. Really, at 4 bucks a tube! When was the last time you saw your morning tooth paste cap cracked? Never!
Makes me madder than a Midget with a yoyo!
Lets hear whats you got! Lay it on me!
Thu

In a pinch where the normal end under the cap has a plug of harden silicon in it I have cut a corner of the opposite end to get some out. Then carefully crimp over the new opening to seal it up for next time.

Off topic... I use a few ounces of Polyurethane from my quart every other year or so. I am a sailboat owner after all. I take my propane torch and blow raw propane into the can before I recover it. I have 10 years on the same quart of Polyurethane.

Looking for "that one tool" only to find your kid has modified it to do something it was never intended to do because he's "working on a project", and now it no longer does what it was originally intended to do. :cussing:

Haha that was me, everyday as a child. I don’t know how my dad put up with me haha. I would be furious at a kid me. All he ever did was encourage me in my quest. I am thankful for his patience every day of my life.

On the "tube of goop" issue, I have had some success screwing a coarse sheetrock screw down the neck and pulling the plug.

On the plastic tubes of caulk and adhesive (I don't think I've ever used a full tube in my life...) I have two methods of preservation that are more-or-less dependable. I either cut a finger off a rubber glove and secure it to the nozzle with a tightly wrapped rubber band, or I take one of those mondo blue wire nuts and screw that over the end.

As far as frustration with tools/equipment/supplies probably the worst is my bifocals. Assuming I can get into a position to get close enough to focus on what I'm working on, I'm too close to maneuver the tool without sticking a screwdriver (or whatever) up my nose. Usually there's no way to see what I'm doing clearly and I wind up using the braille method and screwing up the job, or my hands, or both.

My vehicle pet peeve is electronic doo-dads that I don't want and surely don't want to pay. For example, key fobs are becoming the only means to start vehicles including motorcycles now. I read about the troubles that my VSTAR, Indian, HD and Triumph buddies are having with keeping the fob linked to the bike. One guy was stranded a thousand miles from home because of this. While Pretty Pillion and I were on vacation a few weeks ago, the fob would not open our car. We had to call for roadside assistance to open the door. The car would run but not open the doors.
two years ago, I bough a mid sized pickup. I wanted a regular cab and found they are no longer made. I was told that consumers demand for double cab and cab and a half trucks out weighed the demand for regular cabs; evidently I was out dated. More $$ for the manufacturer.
I do not want traction control, but evidently once more, I am outdated because every other consumer wants it. More $$ for the manufacturer.
I see no use for mandatory rear view cameras but the politicians do and made it law. More money for the manufacturer...
To some extent, I blame the marketing folks. They tell us that these things are what everyone wants. In other situations, people who do not understand the job make rules that affect the worker in negatives ways but have this idea "it's for the greater good" even when it is not.

Back