Petcock and Gas Tank Question

eman13261

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everybody i'm new to the xs world. Ive been working on cars and quads my whole life but just recently got into road bikes and i'm loving it! I have a 1974 xs650 se. The Bike needs a few things one being a new tank.

I want to buy the 64-7700 tank from mikesxs except I hear that although it will fit on the mounting points it will not fit on 1974 petcocks because the mounting holes are too far apart.
My question is could I buy the 20-0019 petcocks that are made to replace 78-84 vacuum type and fitted for the 64-7700 tank, put them on the 64-7700 gas tank and then put the whole setup on the 1974 model? They look the same and they are not vacuum types so i'm assuming they would work fine with maybe a bit of tweaking?

Sorry for my noobish question I just want to be sure before I drop 330$ on a new set up.

Hey everybody i'm new to the xs world. Ive been working on cars and quads my whole life but just recently got into road bikes and i'm loving it! I have a 1974 xs650 se. The Bike needs a few things one being a new tank.

I want to buy the 64-7700 tank from mikesxs except I hear that although it will fit on the mounting points it will not fit on 1974 petcocks because the mounting holes are too far apart.
My question is could I buy the 20-0019 petcocks that are made to replace 78-84 vacuum type and fitted for the 64-7700 tank, put them on the 64-7700 gas tank and then put the whole setup on the 1974 model? They look the same and they are not vacuum types so i'm assuming they would work fine with maybe a bit of tweaking?

Sorry for my noobish question I just want to be sure before I drop 330$ on a new set up.

I believe you must have a 1974 TX650A.....

ttwp.gif

You call it an SE but there are no 74 SE's........

Check this thread to help ID your bike or post up pics and we'll "help" you positively ID it. :D

Hi eman,
yes, that stuff from MikesXS will work for you and unless you can find a total bargain you'd have to pay about that for a hardly any interior rust & only minor dents used tank + paint job + gas cap + gas taps anyway.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.
You can put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig.

Admittedly I haven't bought a tank from Mikes. I do have the manual petcocks both of which had to have the rough casting sanded and polished. Or I could carry a 6" cresent to operate the levers. . . . .

eman, my first post was just my opinion. Your money, your time. It is a free country.
BUT you might want some information from those that have gone down that path.
Oh and welcome to the site!

just recived a tank from mikes it looked like the tank had been droped at factorywith the rear tank mount bent up about 50/60 degrees and then was painted.so to rebend the mount to fit im going to have to brake the paint. emailed mikes and the gave me a $120 refund,2 days later they had them on sale as blemished tanks $50 cheaper.trouble is the petcocks i ordered turned out to be both for the right hand side which i didnt bother to tell them.you would think someone in the shipping department would use their eyesight or brains while packing.other wise have found them good so long as you stayed away from their rubbers and cheap chinies chrome

+1 agree - the steel is thinner on the repop tank & the paint is what I would call average.

Got a brand new tank and it's rusty in less than 2 weeks. No I didnt use any kind of coating but i figured that my bike is 30 years old and the original tank wasn't coated on the inside so I should have 30 years on my new tank. I dont expect it to not rust but What happened? Is that normal?
It's that black and gold tank from mikes That was on sale. I use the best gas from shell all the time. 91? Inside of the tank is rusting and the outside is powdercoated. This is the first tank of gas in this tank..
I also always park in my garage. And I live in the desert, not humid at all...

Posted via Mobile

Thanks everyone that helped me out. Yeah I considered buying a used one and having it painted and fixed up but everywhere I quoted is close to or more than what a new tank+petcocks would cost so I figured I might as well get a brand new tank. I've been looking for a while and have yet to find a tank that doesn't have any creased dents and still has a decent paint job on it

Most likely I'll end up going with the new tank :)

Painting, to me is most of the fun . Go new and be creative, unless you are going for a stock look. If that is the case there are several sites on ebay that sell the decal kits for specific years and models. Good Luck and WELCOME !

Back