Petcock position

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Have a stupid question here.

Which position is what? There are markings on the tap ofcourse, but which end of the tap is the "active" one?

Eg. Reserve vs. On

Attachments

• fuel-tankxs650d-xs650d-1977-1979_bigyau0812f-2_048c.jpg
    fuel-tankxs650d-xs650d-1977-1979_bigyau0812f-2_048c.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,611
Last edited:
when lever hangs down fuel is on (if selectors and bodies are correctly matched)

The operating circuit name ON, RES, OFF is under or covered by the lever handle ie. "ON" would be under(covered by) the lever handle when down. "RES" would be active and covered by the lever handle when it is up. "OFF" when the lever is cross-wise is (shown just over the lever handle.)

Of course, there are two versions of all this 1. for the left hand petcock and 2. for the right hand. The levered selector has a small "L'" or "R" which needs be properly matched to the petcock body for left or right side btw.

left hand petcock....long tube for on, is into tank on the left side of the two tubes and fuel exits from the rear towards the rear (right) of the bike. right hand petcock....long tube into the tank is on the right side and fuels exits towards the rear (left) of the bike. I'd take pics but wife has my camera today.

Last edited:
(Sorry in advance for the crappy pictures. I just can't get good close ups with my camera.)

So, to clarify:

OFF
PB060017Small.jpg

ON
PB060012Small.jpg

RESERVE
PB060016Small.jpg

This is correct, right? The handle should cover the writing in the plate for the given position?
I'm wanting to clarify this myself, as I nearly had to push it to the gas station once. I've kept it full since then, but I'd like to make sure I'm using the petcocks correctly.
(The bike in the pic is a '75 XS650B with dual petcocks. It has a mirror image petcock on the LH side.)

Back