Petcock Q and idea

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
Okay, I haven't spent more than a minute on this, but why does the stock tank have two petcocks? It appears to feed into a T-connector for both carbs.

I'm considering welding the stock petcock holes over and welding in 1/4" pipe thread bungs for two brass valves (one with an internal 2" nipple for Main, the other lower intake for Reserve).

The new valves would have compression fittings for copper lines and a glass bowl filter. Any comments for or against this? I like the brass/copper look and am using copper on other parts of the bike (a flat black bobber). Kind of a steam punk touch I guess.

Although it has been done a thousand times, copper is not recommended for use in cars or bikes. It tends to be more brittle than steel and can crack. (won't pass state inspection in NH) I think if you look hard enough, some make copper plated steel lines though.

Hmm, well I've seen it on tractors, car and trucks for years. When we built aircraft refueling trucks we used it extensively. I suppose if it did crack, it would be apparent by the large plume of flame and smell of burning flesh.

Like I said, it's been done a lot. I've never see it crack. Just going by what the state tells me. It's obviously not as strong as steel though.

kent,

The tunnel in the center of the tank divides the tank into two compartments when the level is low so the two petcocks are there so you can use all of the fuel in the tank. Also helps when doing a very steep turn as the outside tank could unport.

I believe that the left side was chosen when they went to a single petcock to save costs because races are usually left turn tracks and it less deadly if you run out of gas while doing a right turn.

If you are coming home on the fumes with a single petcock, then do as many left turns as you can to get the gas from the right side to go over to the left.

If you are coming home on the fumes, then choose the uphill route to the nearest gas station to force the gas to the rear of the tank.

If you fill up your tank in the winter when there is a lot of static electricity, touch some part of the tank other than the cap to discharge the static electricity in the tank. Just touching the frame doesn't help because the tank floats on its rubber mounts and is not grounded to the frame.

Cunifer is seamless, copper nickel alloy DOT approved brake line used for OEM and replacement brake lines, fuel lines, power steering and cooling lines.

CU copper, Ni nickel, Fe Iron

Last edited:
What Pete said. Although, I believe the later Special tanks, with their single petcock, were redesigned so that fuel would flow from both sides of the tank. I've run my '81 Special dry before, and it took 3 gallons to fill it, so it was obviously sucking fuel from both sides.

On the two petcock tank each petcock feeds each carb. There is a crossover between the carbs to keep the fuel level even between tank halves.

Back