Petcock Question

MurphDog

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a peanut tank knock-off with some haggard petcocks. The only problem is, the threading is 7/16, and I can only find petcocks in 1/2, 3/8, and 3/4. I'm hoping that somebody has had this problem and could point me in the right direction to find some petcocks that will fit. Also, I was thinking about just running 1 petcock and using a T splitter. Has anybody done this with a peanut tank? Does it provide enough gas? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I run mine on a T and it gets plenty of fuel, 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch is huge most taps are around the 1/4 3/8 size, can you find a bush to reduce the size to make it easier to find a petcock, try going to a plumbers merchants and asking for a 7/8 by 1/4 inch bush, though not sure where you are if in the US I have a funny feeling they use something other than BSP, where 1/4 inch taps are BSP
might be better to try for a 7/8 by 3/8 bush as I have a feeling 3/8 is a US threaded tap hope this makes sense it is past beer-o-clock:cheers:

yeah, sounds like a 1/4 npt hole, (od of 1/4 pipe is about 7/16). if you want to verify, get a 1/4 npt nipple at the harware store and check, probably cheaper than a pet chicken.

yeah, sounds like a 1/4 npt hole, (od of 1/4 pipe is about 7/16). if you want to verify, get a 1/4 npt nipple at the harware store and check, probably cheaper than a pet chicken.

Thanks for the help, you are right. Just ordered some new petcocks. I appreciate your input, thanks again.

When I have a question of this sort I would take the tank with me and test fit a bunch of adapters when one fits I then know what size I have.
This works with most anything. bolts, nuts, springs, whatever.

Be sure you are getting the right part. Some peanut tanks that are true old school came with a metric/britsih thread that is not a pipe tapered thread at all. Some npt fittings feel like they are going to fit but the pitch and taper is off. Iv'e even seen some that are straight thread and use an O ring to get the final seal. I have one that lots of meat in the bungs (hmmm?) and I am going to be able to tap it for 1/4 npt and have a better selection of petcocks to choose from.

Back