Petcock screws fiber washers

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an alternative to the fiber washers that go on the petcock screws? One of mine is weeping. MikesXS has a kit with screws and washers for only a couple of bucks, but shipping is over $10.
Has anyone found an alternative at Ace, Home Depot, etc.?

P
Haven't tried these but?
https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...92-c-8942.htm?tid=-6645488736886437485&ipos=1
think these are what comes on pole barn screws.
interesting.
If I recall correctly the Pingle style bases have a neoprene type of gasket, and the allen head screws to hold it down had no washers. Those metal roofing/siding screws might be the ticket. Just pull the neoprene from the metal washer......or try it with the washer too. IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:
download.jpg

Go to auto parts store, buy a roll of fiber gasket material, $6.
Go to Walmart, buy a single hole punch, $1.50. It makes a perfect M6 size hole. Cut the O.D. of the sealing washer using scissors. I've been doing this for decades. You will have many years worth of left-over gasket material to make all of your other gaskets.

The ones from Yamaha are the best and you can still order them from the dealership.

They are a few bucks each, but seal properly.

No matter what I tried, I could never get the mikesXS ones to stop leaking.

View attachment 220540
Go to auto parts store, buy a roll of fiber gasket material, $6.
Go to Walmart, buy a single hole punch, $1.50. It makes a perfect M6 size hole. Cut the O.D. of the sealing washer using scissors. I've been doing this for decades. You will have many years worth of left-over gasket material to make all of your other gaskets.
What he said. Roll your own. :smoke:

Back