Petcocks

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled the tank from my 78 XS650SE to clean and repaint it. At some point, someone replaced the original petcocks with the type available from Mike's XS. They leak a dip or so when I switch the lever between off/on/res, etc., so I figured I'd clean and rebuild them while I had everything apart. Went to Mike's XS website, but couldn't find a rebuild kit for these petcocks, so sent a note to customer service. Response was "we don't have a rebuild kit for those petcocks". Really? Anyone have experience with these petcocks and know of a rebiuld kit, or failing that some better petcocks that can be serviced if necessary?

Many times you can simply flip that rubber washer with the 4 or 5 holes over. This presents a "fresh" side out for the back of the petcock arm to seal against. Speaking of which, inspect the holes on that back side that the gas flows into and through. Many times they have sharp edges and those tear up the rubber washer as you turn the arm. If you find sharp edges, "break" them with a small sharp knife.

I hope flipping the 4-hole works but I'd be looking for some stock replacements.

Back