Pete's Pamco ignition

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok here's my dilemma...(I e-mailed Pete the same question, but I know that guy is busy!)

I am finishing up my PMA swap today (was waiting for the mounting plate from hhb). Then, I'm on to my pamco ignition. I've ordered all of the "extra" parts (the ones listed below the actual ignitions for sale on yamahaxs650.com - I ordered all of the parts listed under the new model ignition with e-advancer for an 80-84 engine). Now, can I simply decide between the new and old models of the ignition? I'm a somewhat broke college kid, so money is tight of course and if I'm not really missing out I'd rather spend less money. But if I order the older model, are there also a bunch of other parts I'm going to need to make it work? Or will it end up just being cheaper ordering the new model?

Milk...,

Well, you could have saved some of that college money by ordering a kit with all the needed parts instead of separately.
Just for clarity, please list the parts that you have ordered so we can help you further.

Just do a close breakdown and costs for the parts in either system. Given your bike is a non-points newer bike, there's more to buy, like the advance rod and such. (Your bike pretty much has nothing under the points covers).

A rough guess would say you might be able to save a few bucks going with the older style, even more if you can find some of the parts used. But, your also dealing with the possibility of mechanical failure with the mechanical advance. The springs can wear out, parts can bind and not function properly, ect.

As for me, all my xs650s had points before (and e-advance wasn't available yet when I upgraded) so I'm running the older style. All are working great. If I were starting with a newer (non-points) bike, I would probably spend a few extra bucks and go with the e-advancer. For the most part electrical components either work or they don't, while mechanical parts can half work.

There you go, Pete jumped in. He's right, everything is cheaper if you buy the package deal.

Milk...,

Well, you could have saved some of that college money by ordering a kit with all the needed parts instead of separately.
Just for clarity, please list the parts that you have ordered so we can help you further.

Just do a close breakdown and costs for the parts in either system. Given your bike is a non-points newer bike, there's more to buy, like the advance rod and such. (Your bike pretty much has nothing under the points covers).

A rough guess would say you might be able to save a few bucks going with the older style, even more if you can find some of the parts used. But, your also dealing with the possibility of mechanical failure with the mechanical advance. The springs can wear out, parts can bind and not function properly, ect.

As for me, all my xs650s had points before (and e-advance wasn't available yet when I upgraded) so I'm running the older style. All are working great. If I were starting with a newer (non-points) bike, I would probably spend a few extra bucks and go with the e-advancer. For the most part electrical components either work or they don't, while mechanical parts can half work.

sorry I should have specified. I ordered all of the parts from mikesxs listed underneath the new version of the pamco.

so I ordered:
Points advance rod #14-0650
Breaker plate screws #14-0655
Advance locating pin #14-0653
Brass bushings #05-0032 (3)

what I'm asking is, at this point, what is the difference for me between the new and old kit?

Milk...,

OK. I assume that you are going to use the stock coil, so test it first:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

If the coil is OK, then you have two choices:

PAMCO standard ignition $103.95
Mechanical advancer: $65.00
Total: $168.95

or

PAMCO new simplified sensor and E-Advancer: $189.95 #14-0903

Of course, the question is...why did you order those parts and pay shipping when you have to order again for the PAMCO? Where you not aware that you could have ordered everything in a kit?

So, my suggestion now is to test the coil before you order the PAMCO because if the coil is bad, you will need a new one and you can just buy a kit that has whichever PAMCO you want with a coil.

Milk...,

OK. I assume that you are going to use the stock coil, so test it first:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

If the coil is OK, then you have two choices:

PAMCO standard ignition $103.95
Mechanical advancer: $65.00
Total: $168.95

or

PAMCO new simplified sensor and E-Advancer: $189.95 #14-0903

Of course, the question is...why did you order those parts and pay shipping when you have to order again for the PAMCO? Where you not aware that you could have ordered everything in a kit?

Ok so either way the difference now is only $20, so I may as well go with the newer one. Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions as I'm sure you picked up that I don't know what I'm doing haha. Thanks again!

On the other hand, just think of how many vice grips and pliers you could buy with $190, lol. A guy like you would be in heaven.

Back