Picked up another one! Now I can start buildin'...

Yourboychrisc

ObXSessed
Reaction score
So a couple of weeks ago i picked up that beautiful XS-2 that I posted up, I wanted a bike that could be a daily rider and that i could personalize. When I found it, it was so clean and stock that I couldn't pass it up even though I kind of felt like because of how clean it was and the fact that it was an earlier-model bike it was really more of a Sunday rider.

Long story short, today i bought this:

7984436120_2accfcd619_c.jpg

It's a 1976 with 15k miles and it already had the exact seat/fender/taillight setup that i had been wanting to do and it runs great. It's also got an electronic ignition, some sort of aftermarket cam, and a voltage meter. It was also owned by a helicopter mechanic so I know it was well maintained. Here's a few more shots:

7984431095_0b76aee8b4_c.jpg

7984429213_f2f05a961d_c.jpg

Love that taillight!

The thing is, I can only keep one. I want a bike that I can ride hard and beat the hell out of. I also want to be able to do whatever custom work to it I want without feeling like I'm raping a virgin. What do you guys think, should I keep the 76 and personalize it or should I ride the hell out of the 72' pictured here:

7898753894_cc6dcef2f9_z.jpg

I wish I could keep both, they look happy together...

7984433426_1e21c9c2bb_c.jpg

I am with Ace, but if that is not an option it sounds like you picked up a bike very close to what you want, I would sell the other one.

I would put the standard exhaust & seat on the xs2 & keep it.....but if you want a custom on-sell it to someone who will look after it. If you want to chop something get a special.

I would do what I could to keep both of them! Two awesome bikes for your collection. I really like the tail light on the '76, but I think the black '72 has a very clean classic look. If i absolutely HAD to choose one, I would probably keep the '72, but that is based only off of my preferences and not off of what you were are looking for in a bike. Can't go wrong either way it seems.

If you have to chose one , I would sell the '72 to a collector . You should be able to get more for that one than the '76 . Then, I would buy another XS , an ugly one to use as a daily ride. Then, I would use your talent to fix up the '76, sell that one too, then, ( I am assuming you made a profit ) buy another beater and build your custom ride .

( your '76 looks like a '77, at least the paint job looks like a '77. The '76s that were up here in Canada had very ugly paint and graphics )

dammmm!!! where do u find these bikes at?? i never see those on craigslist.

I found them both on Craigslist!

+1
Both of those are riders not project bikes.

I'm not really looking for a full on project bike. What i want is something that i can ride and customize with little weekend projects, i don't want it to be off the road for too long. Plus this one is relly close to my ideal bike which looks something like this:

xs650_01-500x333.jpg

Keeping a bike stock is only fun for so long. If you really have the itch to wrench i would keep the 76 build it up.

I bought a pristine first year Nighthawk, and after a few months not being able to wrench on it drove me crazy, so i bought a project XS650 to satisfy my wrenching needs.

You may want to go over the 76 first before anything..

Now I could be wrong, but this "redemption cycles" seem to cut a lot of corners.

Particularly in the wiring department. "The only problem is the start button fell out easy fix"...They are a shop who buys, builds, and sells bikes for profit, and they cant fix a start button?

Just go over it, so you dont get stranded.

If you have to chose one , I would sell the '72 to a collector . You should be able to get more for that one than the '76 . Then, I would buy another XS , an ugly one to use as a daily ride. Then, I would use your talent to fix up the '76, sell that one too, then, ( I am assuming you made a profit ) buy another beater and build your custom ride .

( your '76 looks like a '77, at least the paint job looks like a '77. The '76s that were up here in Canada had very ugly paint and graphics )

Huh? Really?

Why would you go through all that when you could just build/ride the bike you have?

Fair nuff you want to ride. Hard choice.
I think the '72 was "finished" nicer.
The left over seat lock bracket and ends of the grab handle looks half done.
The velocity stack tail light is a nice touch
Maybe that is the type of weekend stuff you are looking to do.

You may want to go over the 76 first before anything..

Now I could be wrong, but this "redemption cycles" seem to cut a lot of corners.

Particularly in the wiring department. "The only problem is the start button fell out easy fix"...They are a shop who buys, builds, and sells bikes for profit, and they cant fix a start button?

Just go over it, so you dont get stranded.

Yeah I'm gonna do the valves and cam chain and give it an oil change. I think they didn't fix the starter button because it's kind of a specific piece and they didnt want to order it but who knows. I spent a couple hours at their shop yesterday and they were cool guys who seem to be proficient mechanics but they told me that they havent done any work to the bike where the motor is concerned

Fair nuff you want to ride. Hard choice.
I think the '72 was "finished" nicer.
The left over seat lock bracket and ends of the grab handle looks half done.
The velocity stack tail light is a nice touch
Maybe that is the type of weekend stuff you are looking to do.

Yeah they wanted to make sure the bike could be returned to stock appearance if that's what the buyer wanted so they didnt chop that stuff. Fortunately, I'm good with an angle grinder so I'll get it cleaned up.

I really want to clear out the center of the frame and rewire it with a super simplified setup. If there is anyone out here in LA that has time to come by and help me out with that, I'd be more than happy to buy some beers and put some carne asada on the BBQ. I've got a nice backyard/garage to work on here in Hollywood.

Back