Picking up a 1982 XS650 tomorrow

I've never messed with an 82, but looking at the wiring diagram for one, the sidestand switch feeds to the TCI box (ignition) AND to the starter cutoff relay, which feeds the starter solenoid. So going by the diagram, the elec. starter AND ignition are killed with the sidestand down. From what I've seen though, a lot of those bikes had the sidestand switch disconnected and a jumper installed which disabled it. My opinion (emphasis on opinion, cause I don't have first hand knowledge) is that if it cranks over, it should start.

I've never messed with an 82, but looking at the wiring diagram for one, the sidestand switch feeds to the TCI box (ignition) AND to the starter cutoff relay, which feeds the starter solenoid. So going by the diagram, the elec. starter AND ignition are killed with the sidestand down. From what I've seen though, a lot of those bikes had the sidestand switch disconnected and a jumper installed which disabled it. My opinion (emphasis on opinion, cause I don't have first hand knowledge) is that if it cranks over, it should start.

Okay made me go out in the garage and check my 1982.
Side stand down shifter in neutral turn on key and push start button and bike starts. Side stand switch is in place and connected.

Up here you can't buy even a derelict XS650 for less than US$1,000, let alone a reasonably good one.

Wish I had a cheap way to get mine up there as while it is a bit rough I would say it is several notches above "derelict"!
I mean It will start and run and go down the road nice a little bit of a somewhat normal oil leak near the front sprocket and a starter gear that kicks out at times when starting. It has set for maybe a month and fired up with three or four tries on the electric foot!

Maybe if I could sell this one I would get off my butt and do some work on the 1978 out in the barn!

Back