1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Picking your brain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chubby guy 53, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Chubby guy 53

Chubby guy 53 XS650 Addict

Ny
    Installed Hugh’s ignition new tcbros carbs runs like shit any idea what to try to at least get it to idle so I can set timing lots of backfire

Adamc likes this.
  2. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

Backfires are often tied into too lean a gas mix. New carbs don’t mean they’re tuned to your bike. Check your carbs first. Even when they say they are set they’re not always. Turn down the gas on the carbs as much as you can then start slowly bringing it up to find the sweet spot.

AjD and Adamc like this.
  3. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Need to know more information..........What is the ignition system you bought.............if you bought Hughs CDI and PMA then your problems could be timing causing the backfiring if the tiiming marks were off when PMA installed.

Read what Griz posted this morning.........
    Post #8............. https://www.xs650.com/threads/calling-5-twins-need-jetting-help.60666/
    According to a 1998 poll taken by the American Association of Shadetree Mechanics, 20% of carburetor problems were traced to compression issues, 5% to cam or valve train, 70% to the ignition system, and the rest to the carbies. You gotta have fire to burn the fuel!

grizld1, Scripto VU and Adamc like this.
  4. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

This is why we make one change at a time whenever possible.

5. AjD

AjD XS650 Member

Have same.set up here. Hugh's ended up sending me a new cdi after we discovered it wasn't advancing.

Tc bros says the give u a rough tuned carb but u need to do adjustments. I discovered there pilot jet 17.5 is to small and runs really lean.

Adamc likes this.
  6. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

There might be some clues here. He mentions stuff like "designed for two stroke."

Adamc and AjD like this.
  7. AjD

AjD XS650 Member

Upsize your pilot jet a bit. Go like 5 Sizes bigger. When I bought TC's carbs biggest pilot jet they give you for the 17.5 and they don't account for elevation I went to a 22.5 just to get the bike to idle right depending on where you are and what your elevation is your needs are going to change I for example I'm at 500 ft above sea level.

8. 650Skull

Chubby hasn't raised his head since posting his question

AjD likes this.
  9. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Gratitude.......it’s a nice word!

teamWicked and AjD like this.
  10. teamWicked

teamWicked XS650 Addict Top Contributor

Gratitude is from the rest of us lurking on the sidelines gleaning a hint of your hard-earned wisdom. When I get another ride on my Tracker I may have some observations on jetting deficiency. I seem to " burbble" at part throttle 25 to 35mph. I can formulate my impressions with more saddle time.But, until I post a question, please get on with your lives.. These responses so far have me studying and thinking.

Adamc likes this.
  11. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    A fair response teamWicked, but that comment wan't aimed directly at you or anyone really. When help or advise is freely given, a word of acknowledgement goes a long way.:)

12. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The first post is not conducive to detailed answers for several good reasons

Adamc likes this.
  13. 650Skull

I was having a bit of fun with this statement. Was in part only, to the time frame.............bigger part was chubbies head................puns intended

Adamc likes this.