Pics of Mikuni RS/TM 34 flatslide pumpers on my 1977 XS650D

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There was a request for some pics in another thread, but I think a new post is more appropriate. I got these carbs from Mikuni-Topham in Germany. The spigots are 40 mm OD, so I used "PM-05" rubbers from Allens Performance in the UK. These also fit VM34 carbs, and are straight, so the back end of the carbs end up around 10 mm higher than stock. The carb/ manifold combo is also significantly shorter than the stock setup. Both these issues make fitting the stock side covers impossible, as you can see from the pics. Currently, I am using K&N RU-2980 filters.
I bought some beat up, rusty side covers to modify, for now I cut out a rectangular section from the LH side cover, as shown in the pics. I cut out 10 mm higher on the top, and the plan is to do the same on the other used cover. Then weld in the cut out pieces on the opposite side, effectively moving the "neck" in the cover 10 mm up. And use a different filter setup, with some alloy velocity stacks between carbs and filters, most likely UNI pods with 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" ID, to allow for a nicely rounded air horn at the end of the stacks.Surely that won't hurt performance. I actually plan to make 2- piece stacks, a straight alloy tube, with a machined POM air horn/filter adapter. That makes it easy to change stack lengths if I decide to. All this also requires a smaller battery and battery box, and relocating the starter relay, voltage regulator, etc, or fitting a PMA. With all this done, there is at least 200 mm/8" clearance between rear fender and carbs, allowing a pretty long stack/filter combination.
There is also some clearance problems with petcocks, especially on the LH side. That petcock requires some grinding of the throttle cable bracket. I also added some plate rubber and an alloy bushing to raise the rear of the tank around 5 mm. And they come with push/pull cables and a new throttle grip, so the stock RH switch throttle/switch housing needs to be kept, either as is, or modified. Or just replaced with a more compact switch housing, depending on the handlebar used.
So these carbs are not purely bolt-on, but I am still very happy with them.

20190730_142302.jpg
20190730_142101.jpg
20190730_142138.jpg
20190730_142213.jpg
20190730_142239.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Sadly, the bean counters at Mikuni America don't think we need the TM34 pumpers, and banks of used RS34s have gotten expensive and hard to find. OE BS34 mounts work fine with 40 mm. OD spigots if they're used with hose clamps in place of the OE pinch clamps.

Thanks, they are neat looking.
I will be placing mine for sale soon, I don't see me running them on my current 76 stocker.

Very nice! Sadly, the bean counters at Mikuni America don't think we need the TM34 pumpers, and banks of used RS34s have gotten expensive and hard to find. OE BS34 mounts work fine with 40 mm. OD spigots if they're used with hose clamps in place of the OE pinch clamps.
I actually first got a pair of JBM rubber intakes for BS34, but did not feel confident they would seal reliably, so went for these straight, shorter manifolds that are a perfect fit.on the carbs. Hell, they may help hp a tiny bit as well, giving the air a slightly straighter path.....or?

I used a pair of JBM boots with TM36/68 pumpers, taking the maker's word for it that no added support would be needed. After rather little use the boots split where the spigot joined the flange. The metal shrouds on OE-type boots prevent that damage.

Back