Picture with fork seal removed?

Angry Rabbit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks-I have got an 84 Special I am rebuilding. I am trying to get the fork seals removed and they appear to be welded to the lower fork tube. I have tried boiling them, soaking them in hexane and pried on them with a rounded screwdriver. (don't worry, I protected the top by putting a "pry bar" protector on top.). I've tried cutting them out with a Dremel and have managed to remove most of the metal. However, the little SOB's are still stuck.

Anybody got a picture of the lower fork tube once the seal has been removed? I'm trying to see how much gasket metal I can remove before I risk hitting the actual lower fork tube. Any help will be appreciated; if you have an idea I haven't tried, I would love to hear it.

thanks, CB:banghead:

this what you want?

Attachments

• fork 1.jpg
    fork 1.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 266
  • fork 2.jpg
    fork 2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 225
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32079
and
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21110

This works fine, pops them right out. Clamping the tire spoon in a vice is a major leverage aid. Any old chunk of aluminum so the lower doesn't get dented.

fork%20seal%20removal.JPG

Please don't ask how many seals I had done before I figured this out. I busted my cheap harbor fright seal remover.

Easy removal 101, just thought of and tried this today, duh, I've only removed about 50 seals in my shop.
Hit it with rust buster what ever, Pick a large socket say something over 1", flat side down hammer the socket around the seal a few times. then use any of the tools suggested around the forum or the one I show above. Seal will come out MUCH easier because you have loosened the seal's grip on the fork tube.

Thanks for the advice and pictures. I'll go get a Napa seal puller and give it a try. I'll also check out the other links and see if I can learn a trick or two from them. If push comes to shove, I'll use my mill to o so carefully remove the majority of the metal ring built into the seal. With that done, it won't have so much structural strength and should be "hammerable"....thx, CB

I used a hose clamp around top when prying so it helps not to Crack and damage tube...also I had a hard time getting them out so I boiled a pot of water took it out to garage and stood them down in pot for 15 min. or so. ..then used those seal pullers to pry out. Still hard work...had a few beer breaks...thinking wtf. Lol

Finally got them out. Took 20 min of boiling, using a dremel to remove most of the metal in the seal and then the Napa seal puller. Thanks to all for all the pointers. CB

P.S. I checked to make sure I had removed the top circle clip. I would have felt really stupid if that was my problem...

Back