Pig in a poke spring awakening

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
So i have this 80 xs650.
Had it for a few years. Some of you old timers might renember it. Back then I rebiult the top end, new stock rings, gaskets, valve seals, canadi-ized the bs34 carbs. New did cam chain and mikesxs cam chain guide, new drive chain.
Since po had died, its been sitting under my house with wierd running issues.
I pulled it out last week, drained the tank, very clean inside. Carbs were full of crap. Cleaned carbs out, new unknown origine intake boots, retorqued the head, reset valves, installed fuel filter.
Luckily the lead acid battery is holding 13+volts. It did run kinda before recent wrenching, but would flood out. . I just put the carbs and tank back on, the carb floats were way off at 25mm, so i put the brass floats, (1980 only) at 27.3mm.

1980 xs650

Attachments

• 8003BE82-9C4C-4869-A994-E5557DA72000.jpeg
    8003BE82-9C4C-4869-A994-E5557DA72000.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 126
Because it’s running right now that the floats are adjusted right. They were at 25mm, so it was flooding out.
Took a rip through the hood. Pulled clean through 4th, cruised in 5th. I checked compression afyer the run. 150 on the right, 130 on the left. It doesn’t have many miles on the new ring. Could the left just not be seatting?

I suppose that's possible. Most of the ring seating occurs rather quickly, in the 1st 50 to 100 miles. What type of hone was used? The bottle brush type will seat in quicker than the 3 stone type. On your initial break-in runs, do lots of engine braking. That puts lots of pressure on the rings, forcing them out into the cylinder walls.

Bottle brush. I didnt ride it for the breakin period. The guy that did preferd down shifting as opposed to useing the brakes.
I may try the baking soda thing

Back