Piston brand preferences?

nhsteve

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering another 'freshening up' of one of the 650s in the stable, and was looking at available pistons and other components. I've used mikesxs before, as have many others. Yamaha OEM can be very expensive, depending on where you look (I've seen eBay price be both reasonable and outrageous). Last dealership I looked at online indicated, I think, a price of $160/per piston :)yikes::yikes::hellno:),

Mike's in comparison come off very good, price-wise. My last experience with their pistons found that between the two 2nd O/S pistons I got, there was maybe .0005-.0008" difference between the two, enough that the machine shop that did the boring took the time to mark the pistons for me, and point out the difference:)thumbsup:), even though that may not have made much difference in the end. Good guys though.

Wiseco seems to make only big-bore pistons for the XS650, which I don't want to do. Have seen Wossner brand, but application/availability seems hit-or-miss. I think they may also have a coating on them for heat or seizure prevention (???:shrug:)

Where do the engine guys go for their internal bits? Just curious.

I'm running a set of their 2nd OS pistons. No problems.

I am happy with the cruzinimage pistons I have been running in my engine for at least 500 miles now. If I didn’t care about saving money or was into racing I would buy wiseco pistons.

Back