piston removal

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
trying to complete take down and rebuild my first motor. Needless to say I have tons of uncertaintity as I go. I have a clymer repair manual and it explains some things well, but is very vague in other areas.

Its time for me to remove the pistons and the manual shows a pic of a punch in the slot beside the hole in the piston with the clip coming out. I tried to replicate this carefully and haven't had any luck.

The manual says to take out the outside circlip as shown and push the piston pin out with a soft drift.

What am I doing wrong? Am I prying the clip to softly? I was trying not to scar or break anything.:shrug:

When you grip the tang can you spin the clip in the groove? If it spins it should be free enough to come out.

Use a small flat blade to carefully pry out the circlip. (s) Then , throw them away, so You arent tempted to re-use them.

The side you take the clip out is the side the pin is comming out. I've used a 1/4 drive extention to drive the piston pins out with no problems. I've never encountered a stuck pin either. Not to say you won't, but it is a very remote possibility anyone could. Tappins should get the pins out.

Thanks so much guys. I used a little more force prying on the clip and it popped right out. The pin itself slid out without much trouble at all

Back