plastic side covers - paint removal?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ol' Trigger has been pestering me for new paint. Her side covers have scores of chips. About four score and twenty. Is there any good way of getting paint off of plastic side covers, or does it mean hours of hand sanding?

there's a neat little feature. Its top left just below forum in the orange bar. It's called "search".

Type in Plastic Side Covers :wink2:

Yup sanding is it. Any solvent will make a mess. A palm sander is useful. Wet sanding even in the heavier grades extends useful paper life a bunch.

I recently had to strip a set of plastic headlight cowls and I used something called Citri Strip that I found at Home Depot. Worked great, didn't damage the plastic. Methelyne chloride is the stuff in regular stripper and it will destroy plastic, Citri Strip doesn't use that.

The covers weren't all that "straight" anyways a good block sanding should improve the looks.

"Seriously". It's an "ly-adverb", unless you're a sportscaster.

We use citrus based stripper at work because it's hard to get rid of solid waste from methylene chloride stripper. Works a little slower and heat don't help it out like the evil shit, but that don't matter on a plastic part anyway! It eats organic paints pretty well. I don't know that we are using it on any poly plastic, as most of ours is phenolic or cellulose acetate butyrate, but it has not wrecked anything for us. Important when so much of your project parts are made from unobtainium.

Back