Please Help Identify this Ignition

Paulie92

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Gday Guys

Just wanted to possibly get your help on this. Im getting into the engine on my xs650 and was looking at timing my morris magneto from what i can see when i push down on the kick start the pistons are not parallel with eachother when one is TDC the other is some distance lower. It looks (to me) like its been rephased and ive been told that you cant run a morris mag with a rephased motor.

Do any of you know or aware of any potential modifications i can make to the magneto? (pictured below)

Ive attached photos of the original ignition which is what i will probably have to run now as it was what this bike came with but I dont know what it is from does anyone here at all know?

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 109
Gday Guys
Just wanted to possibly get your help on this. Im getting into the engine on my xs650 and was looking at timing my morris magneto from what i can see when i push down on the kick start the pistons are not parallel with eachother when one is TDC the other is some distance lower. It looks (to me) like its been rephased and ive been told that you cant run a morris mag with a rephased motor.
Do any of you know or aware of any potential modifications i can make to the magneto? (pictured below)
Ive attached photos of the original ignition which is what i will probably have to run now as it was what this bike came with but I dont know what it is from does anyone here at all know?
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paulie and welcome,
don't Morris make magnetos for Harleys? I'd suggest you first find out what rephase angle your bike has been given and then contact Morris to see if all your own (presumably) 360º magneto needs is a different cam plate to convert it to the appropriate firing angle.

That is certainly a probe ignition. A high end unit sadly no longer available.
I have information on the installation and setup of the 277 degree rephase ignitions if you need it although the info is probably still out there on the web.

You probably need to verify what your crank has been rephased to as standard, 277 and 270 degree units were made. On the ignition units there are also markings which may help but I cant see all the numbers on the cam pickup (image 2441).

The probe is super easy to set up and some came with adjustable rev limiters and advance curves. Another plus is that it is a discrete modification unlike the magneto.

Back