Please Help...What have I done wrong

jimed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I finished rebuilding my engine I haven't tried starting it or putting oil in it. I have waited to put oil in it because I wanted to have the side covers bead blasted but today I put the kick lever on it to turn it over and it wasn't catching so I pulled the cover off and if I push in the clip the kick starter will engage and turn the clutch but the engine doesn't turn over. Also if I put it in gear I can freely turn the sprocket over but the engine isn't turning over.

What have I done wrong?

Please help,
Jim Ed

I'm pretty sure I put it back correctly but I have not put a cable on it yet so I thought it would be engaged. Please explain the correct method of clutch adjustment maybe I did it wrong.
Inxs thanks for the reply

Jim Ed

- with no cable on it you cant have adjusted it...try backing off the adjustment nut on the lhs behind the small round cover-or simply remove the lhs side case...if you can still turn the sprocket when in gear or kick it over without turning the crank then the clutch isnt correct...washers incorrectly inserted?...pressure plate not aligned?

- have a look here

clutchdz7.jpg

clutchhubwashershv4.jpg

- lining the pressure plate up

ClutchIndexSet.jpg

Ok , I removed the sprocket side cover and now the crank will turn with the kick starter but the kick starter will not engage every time. I have to cycle it quickly to get it to engage. I can apply pressure to the kick clip and the kick starter engages and turns the crank. Can you see anything I have done wrong from the picture?
IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

In your top pic, you need to move the wishbone part of that kickstart spring clockwise and get it between those two raised sections of alu. Not sure how much of an effect it'll have but that's where its supposed to be.

In your top pic, you need to move the wishbone part of that kickstart spring clockwise and get it between those two raised sections of alu. Not sure how much of an effect it'll have but that's where its supposed to be.
Then after you do that, loop a ziptie on the 's' part, and crank it around clockwise to the stand off that you have it on now.
I think the kickstart is the most confusing part of the whole bike

Back