Plug wires

I don't see why the wire can't be used. It looks like normal metal core plug wire, which is what you want. Maybe it's those silly exposed spark plug caps. I don't see why anyone in their right mind would run caps like that anyway. What do you think is going to happen if you accidentally touch your leg to that while riding?

I'm not to keen on the exposed cap. I'm kinda doing a few red items like fuel line grips and plug wires. I have a Pamco with the yellow wires now and they don't really match. Maybe i could switch the plug boots on the red wires with the NGK boots i have now.

hard_y_rd,

I think the reason they say these wires are not suitable for electronic igniitons is because the wires themselves are non resistor, which is fine, but there are no resistor caps either, so either use some NGK resister caps or use resistor plugs, like NGK BPR7ES

Thanks 5twins for the heads up on the beetle wires.
Pamcopete, i'm buying new plugs so i'll likely pick up those. Are those the plugs that give you the 2 hp increase?

hard_y_rd,

Well, any plug will give you a 2 HP increase when you first install them LOL

But, no, the NGK BPR7ES are the same as the stock BP7ES except for the built in resistor.

Last edited:
Magic spark plug rumors are funny!

Well, there is some truth to improved efficiency with Iridium spark plugs. I did a series of test runs with my '81/H a couple of years ago and although I was not able to measure HP increases, I was able to measure gas mileage improvements. Improved gas mileage is due to the engine running more efficiently, so there had to be some HP gain as well. Here are the results:

iridium.jpg

These results are kinda funny being as the Iridium depends on its magic when connected to the negative spark plug wire, of which there is only one per pair of cylinders with a wasted spark ignition system. I might develop an E-Advancer system with two coils so you can get a negative voltage on both plugs.

Sure, efficiency matters, and a strong reliable spark makes a difference, but you have to admit some people think they have found the "magic bullet" with a spark plug change. The stock plugs are an ancient design, and modern plugs have significantly more R&D behind them. I'd expect better combustion chamber performance from a more modern product that works within the environment I'm using it in, but it's funny when folks go buy a 10 dollar plug and expect it to elevate their performance to some crazy level. I see folks on another forum that complain because they bought some whiz bang coil/wire/plug setup to replace their perfectly functioning modern system, and they can't "feel" a big difference. If it is lighting reliably and efficiently, the difference will be measured mostly academically. With our bikes, obviously your ignition transforms the whole character of the bike, given that most of our stock systems are so aged and deteriorated.
Speaking of PAMCOs and E-advancers, I'll be ordering soon!

hard_y_rd,

I think the reason they say these wires are not suitable for electronic igniitons is because the wires themselves are non resistor, which is fine, but there are no resistor caps either, so either use some NGK resister caps or use resistor plugs, like NGK BPR7ES

Pete, I have my E-advance and my Dynatek mini coil showed up today. Reading the above post, it seems you can go with 5K ohm resistor caps OR resistor plugs? Do I have that correct, and if so, if one preferable to the other with the Pamco ignition?

Thanks in advance. (going for a pun there!):laugh:

One or the other, but not both. I prefer to use the resistor caps, then I can just buy plain old standard plugs (BP7ES).

Back