plunger frame bobber build

neanderthal

neanderthal
Reaction score
So ill start out saying this is a build that i started a few months ago when i jut moved up to portland. its going to be a long and slow build, but hoping to have it finished before spring time. i love the bobber look so im headed in that direction, this is my first real build, ive done a few others but nothing like this and in depth. Ill also be attempting my first engine rebuild as well...we'll see how that goes. After a month or so of living up here i sold a few xs' to a guy up here who has a metal working shop. He is kind enough to let me use it for a while and show me some really cool techniques. So my build has stepped up a few notches from what i was originally going to do. very excited about that.

also open to any and all thoughts good or bad. and anything you think would look good for this build is a plus! share your ideas and thoughts please!

i started off buying a pile of parts off a guy in portland who is also on this forum. I only wanted an engine and frame out of him, but ended up buying it all and selling the rest. well most off it go sold off...i also go super lucky and bought a second pile of bikes, 3 complete bikes and a bunch of parts including two minuki round slid carbs which ill need help identifying later when i get to that. all that was for 1000. that pile has really help fund this project.

image_14_zps22c1cd91.jpg

i wasnt too thrilled about the front of the frame, it looked to sharp or square, im going to attempt a leaf springer front end and wanted it to flow better so i messed with it a bit.

image_3_zpsae01b803.jpg

image_10_zps1aa93849.jpg

first time doing anything like this. it took me three times to get it right. good practice for the leafer:thumbsup:
image_8_zps399e9a5f.jpg

image_7_zps09e04116.jpg

image_6_zps87d57cba.jpg

think i need to do something with the gusset. doesnt flow to well.

For wheels im running a stock harley iron head rear and a 21 laced to a harley hub.
i had to turn down an axel for the rear. i think that i may not like the 21 sense its 3.25 inches wide. I want vintage looking wheels and i want them to look as close to in size as possible. any help would be great. i want a big fatty on the back and hoping to find a lower profile tire for the front to even it out. i may just start over on the front if it doesnt work out:doh: i hope it does.

image_12_zps7542486d.jpg

image_2_zps3656b2e8.jpg

image_11_zps52366bab.jpg

image_4_zps5f9eb6be.jpg

before and after watching two hours of you tube videos and reading on this forum. lost of help came out better that i thought. first time polishing as well...not the best, but im happy with the results.
image_5_zpsca2756de.jpg

So now i need to figure out what meats i want for the rims so i can figure out the rest. I also should receive my uppers and lowers that im getting laser cut out for the leafer forks. i want to build the leafer first. my front end will be a deciding factor on my rear fender and tank, which will also affect my seat option and so on. so now im working on the first of hopefully many engine rebuilds. i have little time welding so i thought id practice on a engine stand, this would also help me get comfortable with all my new found toys at hand!

image_2_zpsef7d6e97.jpg

image_3_zps5cd7c0e4.jpg

image_1_zps7cb2c7a1.jpg

help keep it greased up and moving..its still a heavy engine and a small wheel. haha it was a good thought.
image_zps6804b3e2.jpg

welding around things is tough, but im learning...its really easy to make these look ugly.
image_4_zpsda55dc03.jpg

image_13_zps071c3952.jpg

and here it is finished.
image_7_zps015f11cf.jpg

image_8_zps0aa2e9f1.jpg

image_6_zps3b32c4e5.jpg

image_11_zps182ec50c.jpg

image_zps36d527a0.jpg

is that your bending jig there? are you filling with sand or just heating and bending on the jig? clean bend you have there. i need to bend 1" od for my project. looks like i may have to do it myself since everyone around me just don't do it.

that looks like an old Denver Mullens frame. I have an old Amen Savior frame for sale on this site that is more like the old Indian set up. Bike looks cool so far. Can't wait to see your leaf spring front end when you build it. Thay are my favorite old style front ends.

is that your bending jig there? are you filling with sand or just heating and bending on the jig? clean bend you have there. i need to bend 1" od for my project. looks like i may have to do it myself since everyone around me just don't do it.

Yeah, i just welded two round guys to the table as you see and used it as my guide. You have to heat it up pretty hot, till it turns red. and you have to work quickly and pay attention to where you heat it and where you bend it. the first two attempts i had funky bends. and make sure its straight dont pull up when you bend it. and dont throw it under water just let it cool on its own. If you have a second hand to help id recommend it. third time around my buddy help keep heat on it as i started to bend it. Also a little hint he gave me was to put the tube end on a piece of wood, that way the metal table i was heating it on wouldnt steal any heat and would save me a little gas. this is one inch solid tubing as well. Good luck man it feels pretty great to bend one inch bar with your own hands. :D

that looks like an old Denver Mullens frame. I have an old Amen Savior frame for sale on this site that is more like the old Indian set up. Bike looks cool so far. Can't wait to see your leaf spring front end when you build it. Thay are my favorite old style front ends.

Nice! ill have to check that out. ive been trying to figure out what frame this is. I had an amen as well. theyre neat. i like this look better though, just like the round spring housings. and as far as the leaf spring i hope to god i can build it, i should get the upper and lower on thursday or friday, ill have an extra set for sale... i agree i love the look of a leafer. thanks for the kind words!

searched about and couldnt find any plunger frames by denver nor could i find any xs650 frames from them..not to say it isnt a denver frame. im assuming its from the 70's just because thats when amen was doing these frames as well and also because of the shape its in. the cool thing is this frame has zero signs of it being worked on. no tank mounts no foot mounts nothing. pretty sweet.

a leafer hooked to a plunger is epic.you dont see that everyday for sure.i thinks its a awesum idea.

yeah i think so too. it was common in the thirties to find a bike like that, but those bike looked kick ass. so much thought put into it. i wish i could build like those guys did back in the day. metal working is no easy task. sure anyone can weld, but to do a good job, to shape it, to work with it to blend it. i have a lot to learn.

Admiring your work.
1" ROD wow.

Please take this with thoughtfulness. You did ask for comments, good and uh questioning, LOL. I see you have a lot of talent and some great vision. You mention your are fairly new to welding. OK here it is, from my arm chair looking at your welds I'm wondering if you are getting good penetration on all of them? Some of the beads look a bit fat and high? No biggie on the engine stand, I see some good heat penetration on some of that. That weld at the single to U bend down tube catches my eye. A rod to rod joint is often heavily beveled and multi pass welded. If you haven't, you might wish to do some test welds and cut some cross sections, perhaps some bend to failure testing. That you are taking on a fork build next raised my concern. Maybe it's because you are welding into solid rod, takes a lot of heat to get penetration on bar stock. Preheat maybe? That and slow cooling helps with metal grain structure too.

Please keep posting, cool work!

Admiring your work.
1" ROD wow.

Please take this with thoughtfulness. You did ask for comments, good and uh questioning, LOL. I see you have a lot of talent and some great vision. You mention your are fairly new to welding. OK here it is, from my arm chair looking at your welds I'm wondering if you are getting good penetration on all of them? Some of the beads look a bit fat and high? No biggie on the engine stand, I see some good heat penetration on some of that. That weld at the single to U bend down tube catches my eye. A rod to rod joint is often heavily beveled and multi pass welded. If you haven't, you might wish to do some test welds and cut some cross sections, perhaps some bend to failure testing. That you are taking on a fork build next raised my concern. Maybe it's because you are welding into solid rod, takes a lot of heat to get penetration on bar stock. Preheat maybe? That and slow cooling helps with metal grain structure too.

Please keep posting, cool work!

thanks for the looking out gggGary! I birds mouth the bar on both sids and also took the sharp edges off of it so i was able to penetration deeper. I also have my buddy standing behind me and he set the welder up for me and gave me a heads up on that. ill do some test welding before the leafer happens to see how i do. if i dont like what i see ill come back to the frame. the big ugly one on the engine stand has two passes on it since its holding the engine.

I really respect your thoughts and appreciate the kind word. thanks

Just got some items from the bridge city steel. Im excited so im posting these now. ill post more photos later once i finish some homework. ill be doing some work to these as well like rounding them out. -- leaf springer.
leafer_zps71834291.jpg

Back