PMA and points?

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
I'm building a 71 motor with PMA and points. No one seems to run points. Is there a problem with this set up I don't know about?

Hey, Metal. No, not a problem, just not common in this forum. Seems most postings are about going all the way. Imagine a man on horseback with a cellphone (actually, not uncommon out here...)

I'm building a 71 motor with PMA and points. No one seems to run points. Is there a problem with this set up I don't know about?

The PMA is for charging the battery, and the points are for igniting the fuel/air mixture. There is no relationship between the two.

The young lads don't run points because they are foreign to them. Its only us old dudes, that grew up using points, who have no fear of points. I've used points on cars, trucks and bikes and they work just fine. Points do wear and require adjustments. Points also limit the amount of current flow, and therefore limit the strength of the spark. Personally I choose to use a Pamco, because I'm lazy, and don't want to spend time fiddling with the points. I've also changed over to the E-advancer from the old mechanical fly-weights, for less maintenance and a more precise advance.

So go ahead and use points, and stand out from the crowd.

I have a PMA but have kept the points. I am using a dual lobe point cam, one set of points and dual coil. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible. I carry a feeler gauge to set the gap and a test light to set the timing. It takes all of 5 minutes to check the gap and timing if needed. I might not have top performance but it is dependable and can be fixed, if needed, with a hand full of tools.

I have a PMA but have kept the points. I am using a dual lobe point cam, one set of points and dual coil. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible. I carry a feeler gauge to set the gap and a test light to set the timing. It takes all of 5 minutes to check the gap and timing if needed. I might not have top performance but it is dependable and can be fixed, if needed, with a hand full of tools.

That was my thinking as well. I want to do some long runs on this bike and I want to be able to fix any problems that may arise.

Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

There just an out dated tech. There are just better things out there now but if u don't have the cash to put in a pamco with a pma points work fine. My aco bobber has a barttery delete and still runs points with a pma from hugh.

Posted via Mobile

I am not shunning modern technology I just like the simple mechanical system. I went with the PMA because I wanted a higher output and I needed a new rotor. If I was building a new motor from the ground up I would probably go with an electronic ignition.

Back