PMA / Capacitor lost spark

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys

I recentlly did a pea / electronic ignition swap. I am running the capacitor only with headlight / taillight and brake light only.

I did the swap, and the bike was running great. Rode it around for about two weeks and the other day it randomly just died. ON THE FREEWAY haha.

I tested some things and I am getting no spark.

My question is, with no battery, how exactly would I use a multimeter?

Is is possible that I fried the coil not running a 20AMP fuse in my harness?

What is your Ignition????...........Make that is

Use any 12 volt battery..........Car or even a 12 volt cordless Battery...........if using the car battery with jumpers don't have the car running, probably better to take it out and sit it by the bike.

Be cautious when, (power), testing with Electronic ignition you have the plugs grounded, (if they are removed), and do not run power through the system for more than couple of min and let the coils get to hot as this can fry the ignition.........

Not running a fuse you could have fried the electronic ignition, or wiring for that matter ...........Pamco has to have a 7.5 amp wired in

To test the wiring without running power through it do this........http://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

alright I got ahold of a battery this weekend and a few things happened im hoping someone can help with!!!!!

( Remember I was only running the capacitor no battery)

-Plugged a 12V battery in and instantly got my spark back. (Does this mean the capacitor went bad? what caused it?)

-The power coming off my coils was identical with the batteries.

-I tested the multimeter on the actual electronic ignition plate and it sparked. (USER ERROR)

-After the spark there was no power to the coil, ignition an NO SPARK.

-Did I fully mess it up and have to get a new ignition and coil????????????

Back