Pma charging issues

brianis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so just got the bike the P.O. said he put a pma kit in the bike he also put a brand new lithium ion battery in kick only bike so at higher idle at the battery I only get 13.2 at the max. I checked the stator wires on Ac I got around 8 on all the but once I plug in the reg/rec and check at the battery 13.2 and the reg has a good ground any ideas I’m leaning towards reg/rec unit

Tell me if my process is correct battery voltage good,voltage at battery running at rev 13.2 no good, stator wires Ac voltage running good, ohms at stator good, plug in reg/rec check the battery still 13.2 should I assume reg/rec. Also is there any marking on anything to tell me if this is a Hughes pma or something different I don’t know what the P.O put in and I haven’t opened the side up yet

It very well could be the reg/rec unit. It's a common problem on PMA systems, especially the aftermarket kits. They use mostly cheap Chinese components.

I believe HHB also sells an upgrade MOSFET type reg/rec that should work better.
tim

Back