PMA install help

WilberM

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to install my PMA kit from HHB and I'm having trouble getting the wiring from behind the chain out. I've already removed the master link but I can't get the link off with pliers or a flat head. Is there any other way to get the wiring out from behind the chain? Or is there a better way to get the wiring removed

PGG4REI.jpg

Here's a pic I'm trying to get the wire out from behind but I can't get the master link off and I can't figure out a way to work it out

Rotate the chain around if the master is on the sprocket

Loosen your chain/wheel tensioner(s) to relieve stress on the master

Use lots of penetrating fluid like PB blaster or wd40 to free up any stiffness or crud in the master link

You don't even have to take it off all the way if it proves to be a real pain... at least just one side of the master, then put in neutral, on stand, and rotate the rear wheel to get it out of the way

Once that's off, you should be able to slide the chain guard off the shifter shaft and remove the wire and put the nice HHB stuff in it's place

You might try not messing with breaking the chain, Just loosen the axle and adjusters, slide the axle ahead. This should give you room the slip the chain off the rear sprocket. Once off the rear you should have plenty of slack to pull the chain off the front sprocket.
Leo

WilberM;

That chain is badly in need of a good cleaning. Do what you gotta do to get the master link out. Removing a master link should not be very difficult.If you plan to keep the bike, you will want to remove the chain on occasion to clean it as part of normal maintenance.

Once the chain is off the bike, soak it over night in a pan of solvent (I use paint thinner), then re-lube it with chain lube.

PGG4REI.jpg

Here's a pic I'm trying to get the wire out from behind but I can't get the master link off and I can't figure out a way to work it out

that guard can be removed from the shift shaft. take out that bolt you can see in the pic and there is a acorn nut on the other end. just crack that nut loose and that guard will slide off

Back