PMA not charging

NorthParkMC

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Need a little guidance here. Im not getting a charge. Here is some info on my setup:

• Hughs rephased 277 engine,
  • Pamcopete ignition,
  • Dual coil green monsters,
  • PMA kit from Hugh,
  • running a battery

So after the engine rebuild i discovered my charging system was shitty like most old xs650s, so decided might as well upgrade to the PMA. Well i bought the Kit from Hugh. Those guys do great work over there. It just so happens i had bad luck, and got a bad stator. I spoke with Hugh and he sent me a new stator.

Just installed it, and checked the voltage at the battery. Its 12.25 V at rest, and when i start the bike, I get a voltage drop. I rev the engine an nothing. No charge to the battery. I cant possibly be this unlucky and have another bad stator.
Is there a way to check the Voltage regulator. There are the 3 yellow wires that connect to the 3 coming from the stator, and 2 coming out a red and green. I have the red going directly to the positive terminal on the battery. The green is routed to ground on the engine.

Little help gents. Hugh is out for at least a week. I believe he is at a buildoff with Pandamonium. He did respond to my email and ensured me the parts are checked before shipping. Not sure what else it can be.

If you have a battery to run it you can disconnect the reg/rec and check the output of the three yellow wires. IIRC you should get like 40 volts ac from each of the three possible yellow to yellow combinations. If you are getting output from the yellow wires then your stator is not bad.

Back