PMA/Pamco no initial start

nic81xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my bike has been running great for a few months now that my build is done. I rode home from work the other day and it sat in my garage over the weekend. Now it will only start when I jump the capacitor off of a jump box or a battery. Has anyone ran into this?
Im running a HHB PMA, Pamco mechanical advance, TC bros. capacitor. I tested my
capacitor, seems to check out ok. Its charging 13.4 volts at idle. It just wont start cold.
Help if you've been there!!

Last edited:
nic81xs,

The fact that it starts with a battery would indicate that there is something wrong with either the PMA, the regulator or the capacitor. Seeing 13.4 at idle does not tell you what the voltage is when you attempt to start it, so try measuring the cap voltage as you kick it. This is best done with an analog meter. It's also important to have everything else on the electrical system turned off when you kick it, like the headlight, tail light, brake light etc. so that all of the voltage / amperage from the cap is available for the ignition system. You can also measure the AC voltage component on the cap to tell you if the cap is able to hold its charge with the alternating pulses of current from the PMA at low speed, IE when kicking to start. Others may chime in here with their experience using that particular cap.

nic81xs,

The standard PAMCO will work with as little as 6 Volts DC, but that is why I suggest testing for AC on the cap because if the cap is not working properly, you will be getting the pulses of current from he PMA instead of a smoother DC.

Back