Points ignition maxed out

Attempted to set static timing- still can’t get the timing retarded enough. It’s very close static. But the adjustment is maxed out.

The advancer shouldn’t have any effect on that, right?
Sorry, just re-read this. If it won't static time and advancer is in full retard, spring's not the problem. My bad.

That *is* the MikesXS aftermarket advancer unit, which has a history.

You could mark/grind a line directly above the advancer's stop pin,
AdvMarks.jpg

With the right cylinder at TDC compression, that scribe line should be pointing straight up.

The aftermarket slotted disc is a fairly rough casting, compared to the OEM machined disc.
XS650AdvanceDiscs01.jpg

Want to see if the disc's indexing slot is straight between the big notches.
If it was flipped over, backside to front, and timing tested, any timing change would indicate that its slot is off-center. It may even correct your timing...

That *is* the MikesXS aftermarket advancer unit, which has a history.

You could mark/grind a line directly above the advancer's stop pin,
View attachment 151114

With the right cylinder at TDC compression, that scribe line should be pointing straight up.

The aftermarket slotted disc is a fairly rough casting, compared to the OEM machined disc.
View attachment 151115

Want to see if the disc's indexing slot is straight between the big notches.
If it was flipped over, backside to front, and timing tested, any timing change would indicate that its slot is off-center. It may even correct your timing...

I will check this when I get a chance to go back over to his place.

Sorry to say, but I didn’t resolve the issue.
He just put a pamco plate in it.
Timed it. Bike runs better than it ever has.

Really wanted to resolve this one, but he made the judgment call and ordered the plate before I got a chance to check it out again.

Getting it figured out would have been nice. With the Pamco he'll be happy. I have three of them.
One to replace the points on a 75, the others to replace TCI's.
Leo

Back