Points Plate

ekestle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing new points on 1970 xs650. I set the gap to .014. I tried moving point plate to get it into timing on the F mark. I ran out of adjustment. I took the two screws off that hold the plate and I need to go about another 3/8" Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks,!

Maybe nothing. How many miles are on the bike? Running out of adjustment on the points plate is often a sign that the cam chain is all stretched out.

I'd suggest the first thing you do is adjust your cam chain. If it's loose. it'll throw the Iggy timing off.

This is the way I do it. Ignore the points gap. Set the backplate so it’s in the middle of the slot.Turn the engine until the retarded marks align for the set of points that are on the master points plate. Attach a buzzer or light to the wire on these points. Adjust these points so they are just opening. You can check by rocking the crank back and forth, to get it as near as possible.Turn the engine 180deg onto the retarded marks for the other cylinder, set these points so they are just opening. If you try and do it with the gap set to the spec, you may not be able to get enough movement in the slot to bring the timing in.
This method will get you close enough until you can fine tune it with a strobe light.
Of course everything else has to be set, ie cam chain, and advance unit free to return to full retarded position.
This advice is freely give, and I will take no offence if you dismiss it as the inane ramblings of an idiot.

Adjust your cam chain. When you still run out of timing adjustment due to stretched chain, you can extend the adjustment cutaways on the points plate about 3/16" using a Dremel. Much more than that, and the rotated plate starts running in to clearance issues.

Back