points rub block q

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
I was noticing on my points that the block that rubs/rides the eccentric for the points isn't getting lubbed, because my felt isn't touching the eccentric.
is it felt? what lube to use?
I also noticed 3/4 of the rotation ,the rub isn't even touching the eccentric, but points open as they should, bike runs fine. Does it have to rub the full rotation? looks like the rub block on the points is a little smaller than I remember. wondering if its melted. points weren't that far off. I think the plug was just fouled. I hit it with a soda blaster, and fired up.
had a hell of a time trying to start it the other day. reset the points, cleaned plug, fired right up.
I know y'all love pics of anything as much as I do, still want to see?
Side: very small arc sparks from points when running--normal?:confused:
I know big sparks are bad. bike doesn't miss, new condenser, new coil.

angus I was able to loosen and push down on a felt block to get to touch, but don't think it will work the second time. 1/one drop of 30 wt, to lube it.

yes. I tried to push it closer, but the age of the felt has a permanent bend in it. if I pull it more, it will just fray. I'm going to put a new piece of felt and lube it. done.
Pieces of felt.....free from bottom of schotski
pamco.......-+$100
Fixing something for free....priceless

Like WER, I was able to loosen the felt's clamps and nudge them a bit closer.
Used to be able to easily find tiny packets of specialty points grease. No more.
I like thicker/sticky lubes, like drivechain lube.

...Side: very small arc sparks from points when running--normal?:confused:
I know big sparks are bad. bike doesn't miss, new condenser, new coil.

Tiny/occasional sparks OK. Splatterbox sized arcs - bad...

Bosch used to make a points grease. I got a tube years ago for my BMWs. You may still be able to find it. It's their Ft 1 v 4, part #5 700 002 005. I also have a tube of Harley stuff I got at a Harley dealer. It's so old it has AMF on the tube, lol.

Wow. Even hd grease needed saving. 30wt seemed a bit thin, but if its being used, use that.
The sparks are constant, but tiny.

I don't think motor oil is right for this. The manufacturers don't get everything right. Remember, Yamaha used to spec motor oil for their forks too. If I didn't have the right stuff, I'd be looking for some of the heaviest grease I could find. A little smeared all around the cam and a little more worked into the leading edge of the felt. I put a dab on a small screwdriver blade and work it into that front edge.

remove felt, hit with some carb cleaner, work it around, blot with rag repeat THEN add some lube. Why would you want a PAMCO when you can spend quality old skool maintenance time with your XS?

well......the truth is ,it isn't for my xs....xl250. No pamco available, although im curiuos if pete's pamco for the cb would fit. I should contact him, and see?
Even though its not a yamxs, parts still do the same thing.
5t, would a dab of bearing grease be fine?

Indeed, throw in a little Chinese water torture while you're at it too, lol. Can the felt be flipped end for end in the holder, placing the unused top edge down?

Back