Polish basics

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My way of doing it anyway. Others may agree or disagree given what they find to be easier, but to anyone wanting to get started this is what worked best for me. I had plenty of practice on my 650 cases and I find myself occasionally polishing a tool, brass key or whatever just because I like shiny! The following pics are a current project and polishing takes up gaps and bad weather delay's. Something that is happening quite frequently lately. I start out cleaning the piece with 4x steel wool to remove any loose clear coat and oxidation. covercap1.JPG Then I hit the piece with as high a grit as I can get away with to remove any remaining clear coat or deep scratches. In this case I started with 400g.covercap2.JPG Just don't sand too hard or you create scratches.covercap3.JPG then I refine with 1000g and finish with 2000g.polishstation.JPG I start polishing with black polish stick to pull any final scratches out and finish next with an Emery stick. covercap4.JPG That will usually do the trick unless you want to take it one more step and do a high polish with green stick. (I usually do). covercapfinish.JPG The results speak for themselves and as I said, it's a great fill-in to work on while you're waiting for another part.

We follow the same basic idea.. we'll start with Napa decal spray... removes the clear coat... spray..let set..wipe off... then we'll follow as your detailed.. final polish with NeverDull ... (cotton soaked polish) and recently a friend told us about a product he found at Fleet Farm.. in the pickup aluminum took box section. They have a bottle of polish for these boxes.. great stuff.

motormike, thanks for the tip on the decal spray. that would eliminate the first step with the coarser paper. Now if I could find something to clean the wax off at the end besides buffing.

We follow the same basic idea.. we'll start with Napa decal spray... removes the clear coat... spray..let set..wipe off... then we'll follow as your detailed.. final polish with NeverDull ... (cotton soaked polish) and recently a friend told us about a product he found at Fleet Farm.. in the pickup aluminum took box section. They have a bottle of polish for these boxes.. great stuff.
prolly Blue magic, comes in squeeze bottles and tubs. It's not a super fine finish but has a wax or silicone that helps stop oxidizing and leaves a nice shine. Yes green or blue stick on a cotton wheel is the mirror finish finish. But on a daily rider? Blue magic is just right. Always use the mineral spirits and paper towel at compound color changes. and keep a separate wheel for each compound.

I rarely go beyond the black compound on buffing, then a hand polish of some sort (Mothers, Blue Magic). As Gary said, for a daily rider it's fine, and a vast improvement over the corroded dull gray starting point. But, one of the keys is to do enough sanding first to remove all scratches and corrosion pits and discoloration. I hate all the sanding and have managed to eliminate most of it by using Roloc discs in a die grinder.

For buffing, something else that works quite well if you don't have any actual buffing compound sticks is plain old automotive rubbing compound. It comes in a tub and is like a paste. You simply smear some all over the part and have at it on the buffing wheel. It's what I initially used before I got the real compound sticks.

I use the automotive buffing compound like 5twins said, after stripping, steel wool, Roloc discs, and sanding. I've bought the sticks at Harbor Freight and Menards, they barely cut for me, the buffing compound (red) cuts much faster. I smear the compound on the part then go to the wheel, dabbing with water to keep the compound wet, then finish with a different or washed wheel and Meguiars Metal Polish.

Scott

Roloc disks, wet sanding and rouge sticks here. Seems to be the fastest and least painful way to go...
Before and after...
IMG_20170829_192024938.jpg IMG_20170901_091055129.jpg

Polish Basics ?

Kielbasa with Potatoes and Sauerkraut.....with spicy mustard.

v94WDFv4dQBdQpP5UeMn7q7P1pHwniX4SPvVpqXUHpcpYHPXug.jpg
After I looked at the title to my post I was wondering when someone would get around to a polish joke. lol
I guess the one thing we all agree on is that polishing is a pain and tedious. Some good tips here to speed things up.

Yes, you and others have presented some very helpful tips.
For me, investing in a fairly large benchtop buffer machine like yours has made polishing less tedious.

upload_2017-11-21_7-45-13.jpeg

and I make my own Scotchbrite (Roloc) discs by cutting 6" circular sections from a rectangular pad (Walmart, cheap) and temporarily gluing them (hot glue) to a foam pad for my DA.

legs 009.JPG

Back