Poop...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Decided that at 18,500 miles on the FJ, it was time for a new chain and sprockets.

Came apart just fine, lot of chain mung everywhere but everything came off without a hassle. Rear sprocket showed very little wear, chain was still about 50% but the front sprocket was showing definite hooking so it was time.

All went back together well too, except...new chain didn't come with a master link, and I don't have one on hand and the local MC shop isn't open on Sunday. What's worse, it was supposed to be nasty out today so I didn't mind having the bike down for a while. It's beautiful out. Little humid, but lots of sunshine.

Guess I'll have to go to town tomorrow.

My luck is close tot he same. I needed new exhaust studs for the header flanges on my Rocket III. The dealer is 1.5 hours away. They only had 4 and I needed 5, but I figured if I could save one of the five I had stuck in the flange, I would get the 4 new studs. By the time I discovered I could not save any of the old ones, the dealer was about to close and I could not get there in time. Totally my fault for not watching the time. I order six new studs and have to wait a week or so before they come in now... :-(

My luck is close tot he same. I needed new exhaust studs for the header flanges on my Rocket III. The dealer is 1.5 hours away. They only had 4 and I needed 5, but I figured if I could save one of the five I had stuck in the flange, I would get the 4 new studs. By the time I discovered I could not save any of the old ones, the dealer was about to close and I could not get there in time. Totally my fault for not watching the time. I order six new studs and have to wait a week or so before they come in now... :-(
Why god invented hacksaws. Saw off a bolt to make a stud, improvise. :devil:

Why god invented hacksaws. Saw off a bolt to make a stud, improvise. :devil:

Gary Gary Gary………..
A2EB8215-C73D-4E95-8FF0-24246B132D85.gif

Links.jpg The Fj is one of the few " talk'n to God bikes " (very fast !) that I can sit on and the soles of my boots hit the ground. Many years ago the chain in my Xs rolled off... luckily it didn't lockup the wheel or explode my engine.... The local hardware store had a large display of master links...from tiny to huge... but nothing for the O ring I was running.... so down the street... a tractor dealer.... all kinds of farm equipment... from my youth... I knew they used chains.. They had a large roll of chain same size for my Yamaha ( non-0 ring)... got 102 links and a master.. think $12.oo..... these farm chains I'm told are not heat treated but.. it worked find for a season. I since then put master links on my riding boots...

Back