popping and backfiring

rockabilly dan

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hi all, just discovered a solution to my backfiring that some will know and some wont, hope it helps someone with this annoying problem.

just installed a boyer brandsden electronic ignition and what an easy install it was, trickiest bit was the wiring, but thanks to some pics on the net, got it worked out, bike was always a pig to start before and after sitting for 15months, started on the 2nd kick, has never done that before, was exstatic, that joy turned to more frustration when the bike was hunting and popping badly, and couldnt keep an idle, hmmm i thought, bugger, oh well it starts.

a day or so later after consideration of the problem, i started to to think it could be an air leak, so checked the clamps on the carbs where they join to manifold, and hey, the right one tightend up more, could it be this bloody simple, again 2nd kick and hey this sounds better, idles and revs no more popping or backfiring, brilliant.

now just have to test on the road, no registration at the moment, and back to enjoying my bike again.

Attachments

• port2port motorcycle run 15 02 09 030.jpg
    port2port motorcycle run 15 02 09 030.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 218
"A note on the manifold clamps. These need to be tightened fully so the 2 clamp halves touch, especially on new soft manifolds. These old bikes, even in a good state of tune, sometimes spit back or backfire through the carbs, usually on start-ups. If the clamps aren't tightened fully, the carb can pop out of the manifold."

So says the almighty carbguide. *kneels and worships*

Also, clean bike!

thanks "twinsarehot" did check and right carb was out 5mm or so, got that back in, and now even better, wasnt quite right, would jump up on the idle, rev uncontrolled, now its sweet as, looking forward to riding it soon, have only been around the back yard, as has no rego at the mo.

cheers for the tip.

Back