popping sound

shanes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all it looks like I will be going for a ride today to see if I fiixed the carbs and pet cock there is a popping sound coming out of the right pipe any thoughts on that thanks :thumbsup:

That's usually a lean indicator. If you had the carbs off and on for cleaning, check for air leaks around the mounts. Maybe you haven't seated them back in fully or maybe the clamps aren't tight enough. The clamps should be tightened fully so the two clamp halves touch.

That's usually a lean indicator. If you had the carbs off and on for cleaning, check for air leaks around the mounts. Maybe you haven't seated them back in fully or maybe the clamps aren't tight enough. The clamps should be tightened fully so the two clamp halves touch.

I second that. Had the same thing on the left side after a carb rebuild. Mine ended up being a barely loose clamp.

yeah somethings not right I took it out yesterday and its bogging out its like its not getting gas . if I choke it a little it seems to be ok when I take choke of its bogging out again do you think I should take the carb off and adjust the clips on the needle to make it run a little richer thks

The passage between the jet and the exits in the carb body.
You need to SEE a good stream from every hole. Including the mix needle hole.
Or you could raise your needles. Or turn the mix screws out 1/2 turn on the carb that is popping. Or dumpaslug of your favorite gas treatment in. I hear Seafoam is the shitzit.

Another thought on the carb mounts, retighten when the engine is warm, should tighten a little more because the rubber is a bit softer when warm.
Could try pointing a unlite propane torch at your throlle shaft seals while the bike is idleing, if the idle changes, prolly the shaft seals.
Remember... I said UNLIT PROPANE TORCH!!

It probably loosened up enough varnish to really plug it up.
Take them off. Remove the bowls. Remove the pilot jet. Remove the mix screw.
Using compressed air block the metering holes in the throttle body with a finger blow from the mix hole bakards. Hopefully that will clear the boulders.
Now spray canned carb cleaner from the pilot jet side again looking to see if it exits those wee holes, all of them, 2 outta 3 or close only counts in horseshoes.
If it doesn't try a bristle from a brass brush to open the little holes.
Check the pilot jet before reinstalling.

What carbs are these?

fuel mixture doesn't suddenly adjust itself so i wouldn't be too hasty to adjust the richness or needles etc. That is just ignoring the cause and compensating.

How do your spark plug electrodes look ? that should give you the best indication of the fuel mix in each cylinder. Keep them in the same pot.

Several people have now suggested a likely cause which is too much air flow to one cylinder resulting in a weakened mixture .

i would check the intakes for air leaks around the rubber inlet stubs first also check the exhaust joints for leaks as jay suggests and check your valve settings too in case an inlet valve isn't seating properly. A compression test wouldn't hurt.

Then if no improvement you'll have to strip the carbs again and check the jets as suggested by RG and others.

You can sometimes remove detritus from carb jets by revving to 2000rpm then suddenly starving the engine of air by putting your palms over the carb inlets The resultant vacuum will sometimes clear blocked jets to save you stripping the carbs.
You'll need 3 hands lol

Back