port and polish

trip

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
how many of you guys are doing port and polish on the xs650 is it worth the time to do it

I do it and think it's beneficial. It doesn't make a night and day difference but I feel the bike does run and perform a little better. The ports are very crudely cast with lots of imperfections, lumps, bumps, and machining marks from the valve seat install .....

rt5yptM.jpg

QzaWAum.jpg

They are borderline too big to begin with so you don't want to hog them out or enlarge them much, just smooth them out. The exhausts can be left "polished" but it's best you texture up the intakes after removing all the imperfections. That helps keep the fuel droplets suspended in the intake air charge .....

G4Pqad4.jpg

VbmoQG3.jpg

It's not too difficult or expensive to do. You can accomplish it with about $20 worth of Dremel bits.

I do it and think it's beneficial. It doesn't make a night and day difference but I feel the bike does run and perform a little better. The ports are very crudely cast with lots of imperfections, lumps, bumps, and machining marks from the valve seat install .....

rt5yptM.jpg

QzaWAum.jpg

They are borderline too big to begin with so you don't want to hog them out or enlarge them much, just smooth them out. The exhausts can be left "polished" but it's best you texture up the intakes after removing all the imperfections. That helps keep the fuel droplets suspended in the intake air charge .....

G4Pqad4.jpg

VbmoQG3.jpg

It's not too difficult or expensive to do. You can accomplish it with about $20 worth of Dremel

Thanks man and what are you doing to get all the carbon build up off I used oven cleaner worked good but still has some deep in the ports .

I use paint stripper to remove the carbon. Any little bit left you will clean off during the porting process. As I mentioned, I do the porting with a Dremel. I use various sanding rolls, Cratex (grit impregnated rubber) wheels, and the #191 and #192 ball cutters .....

LAoKPvJ.jpg

OYfwNUg.jpg

I have done it also just to clean up the pockets and to make the flow better but don't think there is any horse power gain.

Back