Post rejetting question

My carbs are stock 72's but with 75 slides. I did install new NJ's and needles from Mike's this past winter. Could the NJ's be slightly shorter on top? The needles are the same length as the old ones from clip to point and the slides are also the same.
What's even weirder, is that when I discovered this the 1st time, I pulled both air boxes and pushed the slides up to see if they were sticking, and I knocked the left needle out as well.

While I'm waiting, (I'm subbing a High School Art class, so I'm free to surf), just wanted to mention that since our last conversation, I did adjust the air screws properly, and it's a 1/2 turn out with 1 larger pilot jet. It starts and idles great, but I don't need to choke it. But,...

It still backfires! I have a set of butterfly shaft seals, but I've been putting them off because they are buggars to remove. At the same time I'm putting the original pilots back in since my plugs are reading too rich.

Last edited:
Yes, there are two versions of the Z-6 needle jet, a long one and a short one, but the short version isn't available anywhere I know of, even as a repro. Your '72 carb body would use the long one anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry, been helping my son get his truck ready for a move to Maine to build offshore wind turbines. Tomorrow i hav to replace the starter in my wife's CRV. Hopefully I'll get my carbs straightened out by the weekend. Hope u guys are having a great Labor day weekend.

If anyone is wondering, got my carbs right finally. Put the original stock 72 pilots back in, moved the needles to the #3 slot and set the air screw to 3/4 turns. Completely back to stock jetting. Idles great, runs great and only backfires 50% of the time. It may have something to do with the sloppy pins in the Pamco aluminum cup at the advance side, but I have an idea how to solve that one. So all is pretty good.

Only one annoying problem. It usually starts on the 1st kick, but if it doesn't, it won't start on the 2nd, 3rd...infinity. This happens on the side stand or center stand. It's almost like it's flooded. I have the electric start, but in cold weather it drains the battery.

Last edited:
Back