Post the most RECENT pic of you on your BIKE

That's nice! Very clean, simple and tastefully done. Would you mind a couple of questions?

- how does it handle with the big knobby-like tires (particularly on the front)?
I can't really say one way or another honestly. My background is dirt bikes and trail riding. I rode a CBR 600 once and absolutely hated it felt like the damn bike was gonna tip over every time I tried to go around a corner lol. This bike is nothing like that. I guess I would say it's slow but nimble if that makes sense.

- which bike did the forks come from - and were they an easy swap?
The forks came off a 2002 Yamaha R1. I got a really good deal off eBay 500$ for the whole front end forks, upper /lower triples, wheel, axel, and brakes. I bought the stem from cognito moto with bearings and had my buddy do the press work and I bolted it all together over a weekend. I will say that I didn't just jump into this build blind my buddy has the same bike with a similar set up so I had something to reference.

Pete

Got the XS2 out for a toy ride back in November. 36 mile two up ride with the wife. Definitely the oldest bike out of 250 that showed up.
IMG_2260.JPG

The full story.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/did-not-make-it-home-in-one-piece.46473/

Keeping in the vain of jetmechmarty's crash

500-4.JPG scan0002.jpg
pics of My X 500/4.
The car in front of me pulled over to the left shoulder of the road and had 2 wheels well over the white line on the left. (we drive on the left). This is an indication the driver is pulling over to let people past before making their next maneuver. This used to be a part of the road rules at the time. i made a wide birth but the car driver decide to make the turn across the traffic into their driveway. I tried to come back to the left but there was no time and i hit the car around the rear wheel area. I rolled over the boot of the car and ended up on the road with no damage at all.
My passenger wasn't so lucky, he went over the roof breaking his toe and landed on his helmet and rolled to a stop.

It happens so fast it becomes a blur, reactions depend on experience but nothing prepares you for a road crash or how you will react.

Breaking down the accident i have to take the blame for most of it.............Why? when I was in the right according to the road rules. What i didn't do was to take due care and slow down, I didn't treat the situation as a accident waiting to happen I didn't go into defensive driving mode. ..............So in effect it could have been avoided.

This is a pic after i got the bike back on the road. Couldn't afford replacement mufflers at the time and thought the bike looked cool without them. Used chicken mesh rolled up into tubes about 8" long shoved up the headers with a nail bent through holes drilled into them to stop the home made baffles blowing out.

Sorry not a recent pic, about 81

I noticed he blamed himself for the cause of the accident which means it could have been avoided. Anyway...

Im glad he recovered but i just dont think about crashing. I refuse to entertain that type of thinking. I have decided to start wearing my full face helmets more....i have 5 of them

77 ,sorry bud but if you don't entertain that type of thinking especialy in the city you wont be with us very long , just had a very near miss recently ,car drivers can be very unpredictable ,legally I would have been in the wrong ,morally the car driver was a idiot ,ride like all drivers are idiots and wear proper gear and you might make old bones ,
DSCF1035.JPG

No............. not really blames himself, he remembers a point where he thinks he may have been able to avoided it, but actions taken, using the brakes, may have been the cause of it. ......The thing is he can't remember past a point and that was before the crash, so there is only deductions from his own riding style, known from years of riding, and the tyre marks and the position of the vehicles. He had concussion and cannot remember

Yep Hiding your head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away.......................When riding every object is potentially a crash.

You have been riding your XS650 with a chain that is so bad, If it is slapping around as you said, that alone could have come off locked up the back wheel at any time.

Not recent, not my bike, no safety gear, but I'm thinking you wouldn't mind looking at a few of these anyways. Struggled to make 3F today 2 wood stoves going, thinking about finding a third dog for the bed.

Attachments

• chases 002.JPG
    chases 002.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Katie on bikea.jpg
    Katie on bikea.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Katie on bike.jpg
    Katie on bike.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 75ncutie.jpg
    75ncutie.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 186
77 ,sorry bud but if you don't entertain that type of thinking especialy in the city you wont be with us very long , just had a very near miss recently ,car drivers can be very unpredictable ,legally I would have been in the wrong ,morally the car driver was a idiot ,ride like all drivers are idiots and wear proper gear and you might make old bones ,View attachment 92955

I have said I will continue to ride as I ride and I wish ppl would respect it. Thanks

I don't understand....................If one is in business one tries to do every thing to make it work to be successful. Have to make the right choices, best decisions at any one time to avert problems as they arise. One has to think ahead to avoid potential problems and then there are the running issues making sure things don't brake down and cause problems that may be negative to the business and ones self.

So why would some one, who does all those things in to be successful in business not have the same commitment applied to riding a motorcycle. A bad mistake in business could lead to a bankruptcy at the worst. ......................Death is not the worst thing that can happen in a motorcycle crash.............Its a brain damaged cripple.

You can ride ass naked as far as I'm concerned. When the costs get high enough the decision will be taken from you and it will legislated/mandated. It is just a matter of time because I don't see young men on rockets or old men on Harleys changing their ways.

Until that time..I shall ride as I ride and hopefully no one on this forum will be up at night worrying about me. Im a grown man and I make my own choices. I dont mean to be mean, but a sign of immaturity is being unable to accept someone's position. If someone chooses to ride without gear, its their decision. i dont care who rides with what on. After I say my peace im done, but immature ppl go on and on about it because they need others to do what they do.
Im riding how I choose too. Ppl who have already said their peace should leave it alone and think about being quiet.

Wer............... Unfortunately that's what happens when bureaucracy uses statistics to justify an action that affects all when it is a few that cause the situation.

NZ went through this a few years ago when the Government decided there were to many crashes on the rise and costing their system a lot of money. All motorcycle crashes had proportional blame attributed to crash so at some point they could use that, maybe, 10% at a crash to add to a reason for. A lot of the rise in motorcycle crashes was the set of riders who had once ridden when they were young not ridden for 20 30 years, buying a bike and riding thinking, "i used to ride so i am safe to do so again". , Add to that an over inflated expectation of the skills once had =
Instead of saying lets get these guys learned properly and have mandated Defensive driving school, to make them safer on the road, they put up the registration to
1; discourage some from riding
2; to pay for the cost of riders hurt in a crash.

Victoria state here in Australia are now talking about the same problem with the rise in injuries and deaths attributed to motorcycles.

We, as riders, need to encourage safety and responsibility, not just at the base level but also through any related organization to help educate the people who make these decisions at the gov't level. Using money as a deterrent and not mandating safety courses the problem will always be with us.

Why must we be made to wear a safety belt in a car when on a bike we are not made to wear a Safety helmet, some US States, Safety boots,or any other Safety Apparel yet it is a most dangerous mode of transport.........................?????

Back