Powder Coating Drum Brake Outer Face???

MadeThatMyself

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to be tearing down my spoked rims, powder coating the rims and hubs gloss black and then re-lacing them with stainless spokes. I am wondering if I should also have the outer face of the drum brake powder coated at the same time. I think it might look off if it is not the same color as the hub...

Any opinions either way or pictures available of what others have done? I have not come across too may images of a black drum brake. Thanks!

Kind of depends on the rest of the bike and what you think looks good. Polished aluminum always looks good to me. But if the rest of the bike is blacked out black may be better.

I'm going to be tearing down my spoked rims, powder coating the rims and hubs gloss black and then re-lacing them with stainless spokes. I am wondering if I should also have the outer face of the drum brake powder coated at the same time. I think it might look off if it is not the same color as the hub...
Any opinions either way or pictures available of what others have done? I have not come across too may images of a black drum brake. Thanks!

Hi MadeThat,
nah, keep the brakeplate unpainted. Polish it up real shiny as an elegant relief to the solid black look.

Do you mean like this?

Attachments

• 1981-yamaha-xs650-3.jpeg
    1981-yamaha-xs650-3.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 205
Polished Aluminum needs constant care in damp conditions to prevent it oxidizing and forming a white powdery surface. Perhaps polishing followed by a clear powder coat may be a good compromise. Someone, gggGary or 5twins, has a set of forks that the PO polished then powder coated. The last I heard they were wearing well. If you take this route you should discuss with the powder coater so they can advise on the removal of all polishing wax residues so the coating sticks well.

Do you mean like this?

That is the look I was envisioning, but I had not really considered polishing.

I already have a bench buffer and was planning to polish my side covers and tappet covers. I am also considering trying to polish my raw metal tank and clear coat, so maybe polishing the drum brake face would be better.

Any photos of a polished drum brake on a black hub? I'm building a hardtail bobber, but anything would be appreciated.

Back