Powder Coating VS Heat Retention

I watched a video with an actual thermal imager one time regarding aluminum heat transfer. They used two identical (un-painted and un-coated) parts, tested them: same transfer. Tested them after paint; virtually no change in transfer. POWDER COATED them: WOW! BIG change in heat retention. Made me a believer in NOT powder coating engine parts that aid in cooling!

you could get really technical and say what colours retain the most heat, how thick is the paint, I have never heard of a bike seizing from being too hot from the barrels being painted, I've blown a hole in a piston by carrying a bag on the front forks, that gets the engine pretty hot:er:
put a tool bag under the h/light and found the running temp went up 20deg c (got a d/bunny oil stick ) came straight off the bike when got home and went back to normal

Why was the Vincent Black Shadow completely done-up in gloss black stove enamel? Was it because Britain is an extremely cool, wet environment where raw (un-anodized) cast aluminum corrodes like crazy? Especially when the frame and alloy parts are also part of the electrical system (steel+aluminum=corrosian)?

Why was the Vincent Black Shadow completely done-up in gloss black stove enamel? Was it because Britain is an extremely cool, wet environment where raw (un-anodized) cast aluminum corrodes like crazy? Especially when the frame and alloy parts are also part of the electrical system (steel+aluminum=corrosian)?
Unlikely as most Brit bile with alloy crankcases were left unpainted which never suffered. Also once the surface has oxidised it has high corrosion resistance.
More likely for looks and to differentiate them from the rest of the marques.

Back