Powdercoating... precision of paint...

Yeah I think I'm going to use him on my next bike. Looking at doing a black and gold leaf/flake design. Never thought I would be able to use powdercoat to do it either.

@Timothy:

I'm trying to figure out how you did the lace effect - did you leave the lace in there and clear powder coat right over it?

no sir, thats the hard part, figuring out how to keep the powder where you want it when you lift the lace. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what makes it work :)

First rate work, man. Love the tank on your home page. It's amazing; that lace actually has real depth. Impressive stuff.

I appreciate that.
That red lace tank has 25-30 layers of powdered goodness, and layers of powdered clear between some of the effects give it depth and layering effect.
I just finished another that looks like red micro flake and if you change the angle viewed it shows perfect gold flaked lace in the panels

Well Tim I am pretty sure I am going to be using you for my next project. I'm looking at doing a black and gold leaf/flake. Any examples?

I dont have any lace done in black and gold flake combo, I do have a tank I have done in a bunch of layers of wet black and it has a micro silver flake basecoat down the center with 2 stripes down the tank done over the flaked base in candy gold and then the whole thing done in approx 10 layers of high gloss fuel resistant clear powder. pretty wicked looking, I'll shoot some photos of it tomorrow in the sunlight and post em for ya. The candy gold over the silver flake base has a wicked affect in the sunlight.

Well I'd definitely appreciate some photos of more things you have going. I am definitely going to do a gold and black bike. I wanted to do red, but I feel like it's been overdone. Not that gold/black hasn't, but at the same time I think I would like the longterm look of gold/black. Do you have any examples of gold/black at all? I'm not too concerned with it being lace. I'm actually looking to do a scroll or fleur de lis type of pattern on the tank and rear fender on the next go around.

Well I'd definitely appreciate some photos of more things you have going. I am definitely going to do a gold and black bike. I wanted to do red, but I feel like it's been overdone. Not that gold/black hasn't, but at the same time I think I would like the longterm look of gold/black. Do you have any examples of gold/black at all? I'm not too concerned with it being lace. I'm actually looking to do a scroll or fleur de lis type of pattern on the tank and rear fender on the next go around.

sure, I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow in the sunlight of the gold and black tank I mentioned earlier:thumbsup:

question for Timothy: was wondering if you know if powdercoat can stick to JB Weld?
(since JB Weld does have steel in it?)
thx

question for Timothy: was wondering if you know if powdercoat can stick to JB Weld?
(since JB Weld does have steel in it?)
thx

Yes sir, jb weld is perfect, I use it to repair small dents in tanks etc etc, it likes the bake cycle no problem, be sure to use the JB original formula, not the 4hr quick dry, I havent had good luck with that.

I apologize Big jimmy for I havent posted the tank photos yet, its been rainy and nasty overcast weather and hopefully tomorrow we can have some sunshine for photos :)

Yes sir, jb weld is perfect, I use it to repair small dents in tanks etc etc, it likes the bake cycle no problem, be sure to use the JB original formula, not the 4hr quick dry, I havent had good luck with that.

yippee skippee, that's great news! thanks for the info!
:)

okies, I cant get them uploaded, the only "uploader" i know that is free and doesnt make the pictures huge is "badongo.com " and they suck so massively bad and slow and like today, just wont upload.
send me an email addy and I will send you some I took a few minutes ago.

Back