power to coil but will not spark please help

shkotti

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
okay so I have power to my coil I do a coil test and use a jumper cable from the negative on the coil to the frame and I get spark to the spark plug. When I take the jumper cable off and just screw the spark plug in there is no spark. The only time I've got the bike close to firing is when I tried to kick it over while doing the coil test and by that I mean I run the jumper to the frame while trying to kick it over cuz I know it creates a spark. I have a 1980 XS 650.

You aren't telling us what kind of ignition you have ie. Stock TCI, Pamco, Boyer or other. There are different things to test for each type of ignition. Help us help you.

You say it's an 80. If it has the stock TCI ignition you need battery voltage on the red/white wire at the coil AND the red/white wire at the TCI box. That's mounted to the bottom of the battery box.
Leo

Ok its a stock tci and I already replaced the transistor in it. I have a multimeter what exactly should I be getting when I test the wires?

Here is a thread with some useful info and a couple of other links that relates to testing the tci ignitor, pickup coils and ignition coil.

Battery voltage is what you should get. With the key on check battery voltage, thus is what you should get on the red/white wires, or within about .3 volts. much less and you have dirty connections somewhere.
Leo

I don't really know how to use the reader but I got 9.45 on the coils in 9.25 on the CDI I don't know if I'm doing this right

Did you check the battery voltage after you turned on the key? Was it 9.45 or 9.25?
It should be very near the same.
If your battery voltage is that low your battery is dead, fully charge it with a motorcycle battery charger. NO car chargers.
Then try again.
Leo

I pulled out the transistor on the cdi box again and 're soldered it and it started on the first kick and its running strong as he'll thanks guys

Back