Pre-1980 Regulator; Non nylon screw version

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Been reading quite a bit on the charging system and the Chrysler Regulator/Radio Shack Rectifier mod.

In one of the posts a member (Bloodthirstysystem) mentions that there is a regulator available at Advance Auto (# VR292) and NAPA (#MPEVR1010SB) that does not require the use of the nylon screws.

This seems like a good way to go for Pre-1980 owners.

Is anyone using this type of regulator?

Any insight on how to wire it?

For 70 to 79 years:

R292.....GP Sorensen
MPEVR1010SB.....Napa
VR727......Wells Manufacturing
VR-115........Standard

These do not require nylon screws.

I use the VR-115 on my 78SE, and it works perfect. Will keep the voltage at 14.2 volts.

VR-115 has 4 wires.......orange, yellow, green, black

The orange and yellow connect to the brown, switched 13 volt power after the ignition switch

The green connects to the positive brush (left, outer brush)

The black connects to the harness common ground wire or bare metal.

on my 74 i have the r292 and i installed nylon screws, seems to be working fine. i could have swore that i looked deeply into that before doing it.....hmm

any hardware (not lowes homedepot types) should have the nylon screws. ace, true-value etc etc...

Q Tip,

Hang on to the plug that you cut off of the regulator. Some stores will not honor the warranty unless you return the complete unit, including the plug. Otherwise, you probably have a one year warranty on the part.

Some more detail...........was this with the bike running, key on non running..........a bit about the bike, factory wiring, cut down or chopper wiring.....upside down bike?????

Back