1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Presentation / neat Bobber

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vww18, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

Hi lads,
    As I read you and your precisous advices without having introduced me, here are few words to present my project

I bought an xs special (79) 12 years ago with the intention to turn it into an hard frame bobber.

It spent those years in boxes in a corner of of my garage and now the time has come to make it alive again.

I have chosen a special edition as it is to my eyes the less beautiful one, i wouldn't have cut the frame of an xs1, let's respect the heritage...

So the idea is the neatest as possible, clean, kickstart only, i'll try to hide any single wire.

The better option would be a pma but i prefer the points ignation. I feel that it is more spirit. So I think that I'll go for an antigravity 4cells.

I wanted to avoid a m-unit but I might go for it to reduce the volume of wires and relays.

The rear wheel is an xs / drum and the front one is a motoguzzi v7 special 1970

I'll have to rethink the front fork then (mine is a disk version and I don't know what to do with the forks, can I grind the screws of the disk brakes or can I find old tubes for drum wheels... Don't know)

I'll put some pictures below of the engine nearly done and the front wheel

Pleased to meet you !

JR.

Attached Files:

2. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hi, JR, congratulations that you are finally bringing your XS project back to life. As you already know, this is the best place for advice. Looking forward to seeing how the bike turns out, so keep posting and plenty of photos. Cheers, Raymond

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  3. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

Thanks Raymond !

You want pictures ? Here is one of my usual weekend outfit, a tribute to my favorite country !

(And btw this room is now my workshop due to covid restriction !)

Attached Files:

4. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Welcome, JR!

Looking forward to your build. That Guzzi wheel is massive!

If you look around on this site, you should be able to find several pictures of front fork lowers that have been "shaved" and polished. Removing unused mounting tabs on the forks is pretty common.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    gggGary likes this.
  5. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

Thanks for the welcome, I'll check out the shaving of the forks and as I love polishing !!!

For the front wheel, I felt that a big drum is not that common, I don't know if that will make a front side too heavy in term of proportion... We'll see !

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  6. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Welcome from "The Paris of the Plains" (Kansas City) Looks like you've got a good start there, looking forward to watching it progress.

gggGary likes this.
  7. JJames

JJames XS650 Member

Welcome to xs650 and fashion forum. I dont thiink you want any pictures of me in latex. Lol.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  8. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

Yesterday, the carb found a new youth...

fotor_1617866222901.jpg fotor_1617866265445.jpg fotor_1617866300572.jpg fotor_1617866380695.jpg fotor_1617866418753.jpg fotor_1617866339443.jpg

Rhy650, jetmechmarty, muks and 6 others like this.
  9. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

10. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

fotor_1618048315673.jpg a polishing weekend...

We're all done for this part.

Let's fill this empty but shiny case !

11. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Very nice work, what did you use to remove to paint from the fins?

12. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

IMG_20210412_144259.jpg
    A small piece of wood and a lot of sandpaper !

13. Brassneck

Brassneck XS650 Guru

Looking good. Are you still going with a hard-tail bobber frame?

14. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

Rock and Roll !!

I play it safe and will order a TC bros hard tail kit, initially I wanted to do it all by myself but I will be more confident on the highway with just 3 welding points under my responsibility...

I have however to say that I entirely made my drift trike from scratch and a few years later, the weldings are still very nice

garage.jpg

drift frame.jpg

drift.jpg

gggGary, Rhy650, Brassneck and 2 others like this.
  15. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Vww - clearly, you are a man with a style of your own. Looking forward even more to seeing your bobber.

gggGary likes this.
  16. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I like your work space, it looks like a nice place to hang out. I spy a BMW K75 there, and what’s the airhead next to it? I owned an R100/7 and have always been a fan of the K75. :thumbsup:
    45764263-829F-496E-8167-0816FDA1FEB0.jpeg

gggGary likes this.
  17. Rhy650

Rhy650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

That looks like SO MUCH fun! I have been thinking of making one with a ~10 hp engine I have laying around. What size engine is on yours?

gggGary and Jim like this.
  18. JJames

JJames XS650 Member

What kid that ever rode a Big Wheel wouldn't love that trike.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  19. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

@Mailman , you've got good eyes ! Anyone would have say k100 but indeed that's a 75 !

I did it for a frienn but found that at the end this model is between spirits... Not an oldies, not a racer, not a light bike, not a fat one... Naaaaah didn't like it...

And the R is a r60/7, heavy but simple, clean... More my style.

The k75, you have so many elec... You can't get rid of so many relays, air pressure sensor.... Difficult to clean...

Raymond, Mailman and Jim like this.
  20. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Member

@Rhy650 the engine is a pocket bike 75cc, way too powerfull with the plastic sleeves on the wheels, it drifts the second you turn the handle.

I used to have a Porsche 911, this drift trike is 10°10 more fun ! That deserved any second of the 6 months of build, just amazing... And my kids are just maaad of it.

Only downside, you reach 50 kmh and at 3cm from the ground with a unique front bicycle brake, you should pray for this prius to stay out of your way when you feel stupid enough to drive on an open road...

timbeck, gggGary, Mailman and 2 others like this.