Pretty Rare XS-1 on Craigslist (Not Mine)

Vincenthdfan

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks,
First...this one isn't mine, I already have stable full or I'd be heading down there right now to look at this, but I thought I'd share it with you in case theres anyone out there looking for one of these rare birds.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/d/1970-yamaha-xs1-650/6591144862.html

00p0p_6lpurdJyiIE_1200x900.jpg

Nice.. but, me thinks... t signals are off a newer model. Has fork gathers and the dirt bike tail light..which was on the early production units.. as the production proceeded they removed the gathers, add'd the standard round tail light, a seat strap, turn signals.

I tell fellow XS gurus.. if they get a chance to ride a 70' or 71', they seem to have better performance then later XS units... of course they don't stop and handle as well as a picnic bench on two wheels.

Looks to me like a repaint, stripes on the tank are maybe not right? Also the tail light bracket and fender bracket look painted? 5k? are they really worth that much? might have to sell mine.

also, the rear shocks are not correct. But probably better than stock.

Nice.. but, me thinks... t signals are off a newer model. Has fork gathers and the dirt bike tail light..which was on the early production units.. as the production proceeded they removed the gathers, add'd the standard round tail light, a seat strap, turn signals.

I tell fellow XS gurus.. if they get a chance to ride a 70' or 71', they seem to have better performance then later XS units... of course they don't stop and handle as well as a picnic bench on two wheels.

This is the same with early model CB750's. They had some more power from the tighter pre-production tolerances, as more care was made while they were spinning up the lines!

Yea. Looks like 73 signals.
Agree with the comment about performance. The XS1 had better performance but also vibrated a lot more.

I maybe a bit fussy, okay a lot fussy, but if you are taking a picture of a bike you want to get $5,000.00 for could you not at least take the wire of the handle bars and maybe roll it outside so there is not the pile of junk on the shelf behind it!

Heck the picture of the rusted out wreck of a 1972 I use for my Avatar is poised better than that one!

I maybe a bit fussy, okay a lot fussy, but if you are taking a picture of a bike you want to get $5,000.00 for could you not at least take the wire of the handle bars and maybe roll it outside so there is not the pile of junk on the shelf behind it!

Heck the picture of the rusted out wreck of a 1972 I use for my Avatar is poised better than that one!

Ha! You struck on one of my pet peeves. Craigslist ads with crappy photos. Why the heck do people take the time to create an ad, often asking a lot of money for a bike and then post some lousy, dark , out of focus photo of a bike nosed into the corner of a cluttered garage? Case in point, here is an ad running in Phoenix right now, $11,000 for a chopper, doesn’t this photo make you just want to run right over to see it?
B8CA5502-7CCC-4E12-A174-0BDE382EA7A9.jpeg

Back